Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If money is no object, why stop at the SR5, shoot for the moon. How about a Bugatti.
IMHO — A more practical “shoot for the moon” would be the R8. Still practical enough for the streets but oh what a blast on some really great curvy roads.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 489 Likes on 312 Posts

If money is no object, why stop at the SR5, shoot for the moon. How about a Bugatti.
I don't recall anyone saying money is no object, in fact, the comments have been quite the opposite. Affordability is relative. The discussion has been whether the RS models offer enough over the S models to warrant the extra cost. Some have said "no", but my answer and that of others who have had both types of cars have said "yes", if you can afford it. How did you get from that to a Bugatti?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

because I have a family and the extra doors and and seats are more valuable.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

This is why its impossible to debate on S5 vs RS5. They compete in different class, Luxury sport car sedan vs Full on sport sedan. People value power and looks differently.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

S5 owners - The RS5 isn't worth the extra premium. The S5 is a better "value".

RS5 owners - If you have the money to make it work. Definitely get the RS5 it is worth it.

I think this sums up the opinions.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
because I have a family and the extra doors and and seats are more valuable.
That was a sarcastic remark regarding skubeeraw's post suggesting that S5 owners are strapped for cash.

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
But I'm not in your shoes so if you are financially strapped, and want some extra ponies, yes the S5 makes more sense.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-28-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21

RS5 owners - If you have the money to make it work. Definitely get the RS5 it is worth it.

Doesn't sum it up for me, or many others' I suspect, who could easily write a check for any A5 offering.

In my opinion, the S5 doesn't offer $10K more in options over the A5., and truth be known, it isn't much faster.

The RS5 isn't a true 'sports car', and is again, IMHO way overpriced for what it has. Four doors and high HP in a hatchback is unique, however.

All car buying has a large egotistical component, and some financial component, as reflected in many of the comments on this forum.

For me, and just for me, the A5 met all my passenger car needs plus. The S5 interior was uncomfortable for my wife, and to me, the S5 didn't handle any better.

If you can swing it financially, try an A5 for daily commuter use, and a Porsche GT4 for true sports car thrills.

It works for me.

Last edited by dafantom; 02-28-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

nope. I had the S5 and didn't think so. As a future RS5 owner, it's worth it if you can afford it get it.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dafantom
Doesn't sum it up for me, or many others' I suspect, who could easily write a check for any A5 offering.

In my opinion, the S5 doesn't offer $10K more in options over the A5., and truth be known isn't much faster.

The RS5 isn't a true 'sports car', and is again, IMHO way overpriced for what it has. Four doors and a high HP hatchback is unique, however.

All car buying has a large egotistical component, and some financial component, as reflected in many of the comments on this forum.

For me, and just for me, the A5 met all my passenger car needs plus. The S5 interior was uncomfortable for my wife, and to me, the S5 didn't handle any better.

If you canswing it financially, try an A5 for daily commuter use, and a Porsche GT4 for true sports car thrills.

It works for me.
I was being slightly sarcastic but I do believe most S5 and RS5 owners fall somewhere between those two opinions. Your point that the S5 is not "worth" the premium over the A5 is the same point I try to make for those S5 owners who don't believe the RS5 is "worth" the premium over the S5. They refuse to hear that argument though as they feel the S5 is a "much" larger improvement over the A5 compared to the jump from the S5 to the RS5. At the end of the day it's personal opinion and what you can afford. You seem to be an exception to that rule as you already have a sports car. So the A5 as a daily driver makes sense. As far as your scenario, that wouldn't work for me. I just don't need two vehicles. My wife has her SUV and I have my sports sedan. My RS 5 Sportback gives me the amount of power I want with the practicality to put my son in the back seat and have space in the trunk for his stroller and some groceries. Also my funds are not unlimited. Though I could definitely afford a car more expensive then the RS5 Sportback, a 2019 Porsche GT3 (didn't see a 19' GT4) starts at $143k. That's more then I would be willing to spend currently. I'm a "young 30 year old" in the eyes of many of the older forum members. As I advance further in my career and grow my personal businesses then my thoughts and needs may change. For now I am extremely happy with my RS 5 Sportback and I think it is well worth the money I paid and the smile it puts on both mine and my wife's face.

Last edited by evanseric21; 02-28-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..... For now I am extremely happy with my RS 5 Sportback and I think it is well worth the money I paid and the smile it puts on both mine and my wife's face.
Makes perfect sense to me, given your situation

We need a sarcasm smiley

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5