Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got an A4.

I've had a TTS (i.e. an 'S' level car)

I now have a RS5.

No-one 'needs' more than an 'A' car. The rest is bragging rights. Fun factor... And treating yourself to something more rare.

"But I need the power when I need it" is baloney. My 8 year old A4 can accelerate and pass on the highway just fine. It gets me to the grocery store, and is very comfortable.

Go up the scale for your own personal reasons. It is pointless to debate it on the forums.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Beyond providing a list of features for the two cars and letting each person make up his mind, the debate is pointless.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I've got an A4.

I've had a TTS (i.e. an 'S' level car)

I now have a RS5.

No-one 'needs' more than an 'A' car. The rest is bragging rights. Fun factor... And treating yourself to something more rare.

"But I need the power when I need it" is baloney. My 8 year old A4 can accelerate and pass on the highway just fine. It gets me to the grocery store, and is very comfortable.

Go up the scale for your own personal reasons. It is pointless to debate it on the forums.
I agree with this. Not really about bragging rights per se with me. More about treating myself. I honestly feel the issue here comes from S5 owners trying to validate their S5 purchase over the A5 but when us RS5 owners make some of the same arguments compared to the S5 then it's not "worth it". At that point it literally comes down to finances but many won't admit that. If I could afford a Ferrari then I would buy one but I can't so I didn't. Most (key word here) would buy the RS5 over the S5 if they could afford it. Why would you not want the best version of something that you know you like. There are obviously exceptions to this rule as I'm sure there are some who just wanted a nice luxury daily driver like in the case of @dafantom . He already has a sports car and wanted a nice daily driver. He is not most people though. Most people buy what they can afford. That is not a knock on anyone it's just the reality of the situation. Everyone has their opinion and needs to justify their purchase. The truth is usually somewhere between all those a-holes... I mean opinions.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I would remind everyone posting to show some class. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but not their disrespect. Derisive comments are not permitted.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets examine this with facts and numbers instead of ego trips and bank account statements, Lets look at what each upgrade includes from S5 to RS5 and from A5 to S5. Upgrading from S5 to RS5, you will get an additional 90 HP, upgrade body work, optional carbon black optic package, optional dynamic plus package, MSRP = $92000, assume 5% off, that comes to $87400.
From A5 to S5 will get you another 102 HP, upgrade body works, S sport messaging seats, sport rear differential, red calibers, bigger brakes, carbon fiber inlay. A loaded A5 that is missing all the options above MSRP for $51500, at 10% off = $46350. A S5 with all the options above MSRP for $60000, at 10% off = $54000.
To sum it up, the upgrade from A5 to S5 cost about $7500 and the upgrade from S5 to RS5 cost about $33400. If you look at what you get for each upgrade at their price point, it is very hard to justify upgrading to the RS5.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-28-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
I agree with this. Not really about bragging rights per se with me. More about treating myself. I honestly feel the issue here comes from S5 owners trying to validate their S5 purchase over the A5 but when us RS5 owners make some of the same arguments compared to the S5 then it's not "worth it". At that point it literally comes down to finances but many won't admit that. If I could afford a Ferrari then I would buy one but I can't so I didn't. Most (key word here) would buy the RS5 over the S5 if they could afford it. Why would you not want the best version of something that you know you like. There are obviously exceptions to this rule as I'm sure there are some who just wanted a nice luxury daily driver like in the case of @dafantom . He already has a sports car and wanted a nice daily driver. He is not most people though. Most people buy what they can afford. That is not a knock on anyone it's just the reality of the situation. Everyone has their opinion and needs to justify their purchase. The truth is usually somewhere between all those a-holes... I mean opinions.
Not everyone has the same set of values and worldview. If I believed in financing or leasing cars, I could have considered cars above the RS5. Plenty of my coworkers care little about cars, make several hundred k per year, and drive older Civics, Accords, and Leafs (Leaves?), so my car is already flashy enough. I would certainly take an RS5 if it were the same price as an S5 and don't dispute it is objectively superior, but I don't care enough to pay for the difference. However, I understand that others may feel differently and the extra $20k is well worth it for them.

Last edited by JD15; 02-28-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lets examine what each upgrade includes from S5 to RS5 and from A5 to S5. Upgrading from S5 to RS5, you will get an additional 90 HP, upgrade body work, optional carbon black optic package, optional dynamic plus package, MSRP = $92000, assume 5% off, that comes to $87400.
From A5 to S5 will get you another 102 HP, upgrade body works, S sport messaging seats, sport rear differential, red calibers, bigger brakes, carbon fiber inlay. A loaded A5 that is missing all the options above MSRP for $51500, at 10% off = $46350. A S5 with all the options above MSRP for $60000, at 10% off = $54000.
To sum it up, the upgrade from A5 to S5 cost about $7500 and the upgrade from S5 to RS5 cost about $33400. If you look at what you get for each upgrade at their price point, it is very hard to justify upgrading to the RS5.
Your math is wrong on the front end G Man and what you're not taking into account is the residual value of both vehicles on the back end, which I think will be better on the RS5 Sportback. I'm literally burned out on this convo though. So you guys have at it.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Your math is wrong on the front end G Man and what you're not taking into account is the residual value of both vehicles on the back end, which I think will be better on the RS5 Sportback. I'm literally burned out on this convo though. So you guys have at it.
Those numbers and options are from the Audi website, if those numbers are wrong, someone should tell Audi USA and all the Audi dealers.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Not everyone has the same set of values and worldview. If I believed in financing or leasing cars, I could have considered cars above the RS5. Plenty of my coworkers care little about cars, make several hundred k per year, and drive older Civics, Accords, and Leafs (Leaves?), so my car is already flashy enough. I would certainly take an RS5 if it were the same price as an S5 and don't dispute it is objectively superior, but I don't care enough to pay for the difference. However, I understand that others may feel differently and the extra $20k is well worth it for them.
I don't think this has anything to do with values and worldviews. We're talking about the difference of a car model not global warming or god. Even in your case it comes down to finances. You don't believe in financing cars, therefore you are limited to the cash you have available to make the purchase. You decided that the $20k was more then you wanted to pay. If I bought cars outright depending on how much cash I had on hand I may have came to that same conclusion. I don't buy cars outright but I did put down well over 50% of the value when I financed this car. If you could have made that extra $20k work and you were comfortable I'm sure you would have. I personally know a few millionaires and have done contract work with a billionaire. Some drive fancy Range Rovers and Rolls Royce's and others drive F150s (the billionaire). I don't assume a persons wealth by the car they drive. My argument here is that a person buying an S5 or RS5 does care about the "prestige" of their vehicle or they would be buying something much more practical. So for those that say money isn't the deciding factor are literally just trying to make themselves feel better. It definitely comes down to finances. The problem is I don't feel like I'm any better then someone who drives any car, so I don't see why it's so hard for people to admit that.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Those numbers and options are from the Audi website, if those numbers are wrong, someone should tell Audi USA and all the Audi dealers.
This is how I would have configured an A5, this is how I configured my S5 before I decided on the RS5. My RS5 is configured to this exact spec.
Your numbers are wrong and inflated to make your point. Again you also are not taking residual value into consideration which I believe will be higher on the RS5. Also the A5, S5 can be fitted with additional options I did not select.

$60k not $51k as you mentioned

$73k not $60k as you mentioned

$88k not $92k as you mentioned

Looks like a $12k difference between the A5 and S5 and a $14.9k difference between the RS5 and S5. So please explain to my how an S5 owner can justify over an A5 but an RS5 is not "worth it".
These are the facts and how I would have configured any of these cars if I was purchasing them. Everyone keeps inflating the RS5 price and reducing the A5s pricing to try and make a point. These are MSRP before any discounts.

Last edited by evanseric21; 02-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5