Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

i've also found that if i unlock the doors first, it connects to carplay quicker. however, i still maybe have about 15 seconds of start-up? is yours more instant?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I think it does wake the car up when it’s unlocked. So the USB is being powered up. I guess that is a workaround.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:35 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 358 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdolex
i've also found that if i unlock the doors first, it connects to carplay quicker. however, i still maybe have about 15 seconds of start-up? is yours more instant?
About the same. It depends on how much time following the "wake up" and when I get in and hit the start button. Like today, opened car door to let dog into back seat. She took her sweet time. When I got into car the MMI was already showing CarPlay.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I found a bit of a solution to people having issues with lag while on the phone.

if you plug your iPhone into the device via a lightning cable, it becomes ‘wired’ again and it eliminates all lag with phone calls

obviously this isn’t ideal, but this works for me since I don’t make a ton of calls and I usually know beforehand that I’m going to call someone in the car. Also if you plug in your phone midway thru a call, there’s a 5 or so second delay and then the lag is gone.
The following users liked this post:
stwus (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdolex
So I found a bit of a solution to people having issues with lag while on the phone.

if you plug your iPhone into the device via a lightning cable, it becomes ‘wired’ again and it eliminates all lag with phone calls

obviously this isn’t ideal, but this works for me since I don’t make a ton of calls and I usually know beforehand that I’m going to call someone in the car. Also if you plug in your phone midway thru a call, there’s a 5 or so second delay and then the lag is gone.
Kinda defeats the wireless purpose
Old 04-21-2020, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mlavio829
Is no one else experiencing an unacceptable delay when talking on the phone?
I know some people have said that it was talked about before but i am still experiencing this issue on the latest version.
Latest version of iOS 13 and latest version of the dongle firmware from the QR code/URL

The device works fine otherwise - occasionally it will give me very choppy audio and the maps will sometimes buffer which is quite odd but otherwise a quick reset of the phone and the MMI seems to fix that.
I just received my CarPlay2Air today and hooked it up right away. I noticed a very slight delay but nothing major during a phone call.
I noticed that the connection stayed even after I turned the car off and closed the driver door.
I also get the notice that my “Cellphone is still in the vehicle” when connected to wireless CarPlay.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

you can solve the 'cellphone is still in vehicle' warning by going into your settings and disabling the alert. not sure exactly where it is
Old 04-26-2020, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stwus
Does anyone know if it’s possible to upgrade to Apple wireless CarPlay in a 2019 Audi? I only have wireless charging, but when I want to use Apple CarPlay, then I have to plug in the cable, so it kinda makes the wireless charging seems superfluous. I know the phone box is supposed to boost the cellular signal, but I don’t know if the wireless charging is not being used, is the signal still being boosted in the phone box?
did you already install wireless carplay?
Old 04-26-2020, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, just chiming in here after 4+ months with the CarLinkIt adapter. It mainly works as advertised. All functionality is there after plugging it in to my 2019 S5 Sportback Prestige. In fact, it has MORE functionality in that the touch pad topping the control wheel works with CarLinkIt and doesn't with the normal CarPlay plugged in via a cable. I do have a couple problems. One is the delay. This is not that big of a deal, but there is a 1-1.15 second delay with voice. So, Hey Siri closes out before you start talking if you wait for here to respond. Instead, you have to say Hey Siri...Take Me Home, without waiting for it to respond to the first Hey Siri. The delay makes it so the Siri prompt closes out if you don't start talking before Siri even responds. That's kind of weird, but not a big deal. A slightly bigger but similar issue is the delay when on the phone. It works, but it's a bit weird. It sounds like both parties are contemplating every sentence. Again, it's weird, but not too bad.

The biggest problem and the reason I have switched back to using a cable is once in a while (maybe 1 out of every 4 drives), the sound cuts in and there is a ton of popping, crackling, etc. It's loud and so disruptive you can barely tell what song is playing. The solution, while driving, is to unplug/replug the adapter. Then, sometimes it comes back and works and other times it won't delete the phone. Then, I have to unplug it, wait until the car is totally shut off, then replug it and retry. All of this is really annoying and also defeats the purpose of the device which is to make things easier. Now I'm juggling adapters, cables, etc. to get it working again while driving. Not good.

Previously in this thread, I recommended this device. I think I am backtracking from that recommendation until this gets fixed (I have the latest firmware).
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom E:
dadrocker (05-15-2020), yogs (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tom E
Hey guys, just chiming in here after 4+ months with the CarLinkIt adapter. It mainly works as advertised. All functionality is there after plugging it in to my 2019 S5 Sportback Prestige. In fact, it has MORE functionality in that the touch pad topping the control wheel works with CarLinkIt and doesn't with the normal CarPlay plugged in via a cable. I do have a couple problems. One is the delay. This is not that big of a deal, but there is a 1-1.15 second delay with voice. So, Hey Siri closes out before you start talking if you wait for here to respond. Instead, you have to say Hey Siri...Take Me Home, without waiting for it to respond to the first Hey Siri. The delay makes it so the Siri prompt closes out if you don't start talking before Siri even responds. That's kind of weird, but not a big deal. A slightly bigger but similar issue is the delay when on the phone. It works, but it's a bit weird. It sounds like both parties are contemplating every sentence. Again, it's weird, but not too bad.

The biggest problem and the reason I have switched back to using a cable is once in a while (maybe 1 out of every 4 drives), the sound cuts in and there is a ton of popping, crackling, etc. It's loud and so disruptive you can barely tell what song is playing. The solution, while driving, is to unplug/replug the adapter. Then, sometimes it comes back and works and other times it won't delete the phone. Then, I have to unplug it, wait until the car is totally shut off, then replug it and retry. All of this is really annoying and also defeats the purpose of the device which is to make things easier. Now I'm juggling adapters, cables, etc. to get it working again while driving. Not good.

Previously in this thread, I recommended this device. I think I am backtracking from that recommendation until this gets fixed (I have the latest firmware).
so there was one firmware where mine had a lot of problems however I havnt had a problem like that for the latest version. have you tried reporting the problem on the http://192.168.50.2 website? i believe you can send them a log when the issue occurs and maybe they can work on it.

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay