Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdolex
so there was one firmware where mine had a lot of problems however I havnt had a problem like that for the latest version. have you tried reporting the problem on the http://192.168.50.2 website? i believe you can send them a log when the issue occurs and maybe they can work on it.
Yeah, I've tried reporting it. There's no feedback and the process is a bit confusing, so I'm not 100 sure it went through. I definitely have the latest firmware that it reports (it says I'm up to date). I'll try again with the uploading logs and reporting and seeing how it goes.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Makre Dania
did you already install wireless carplay?
I use Carlinkit and it has been really good. I really don't like to plugging in the charging cable when I have a wireless charging pad there. It kinda defeats the purpose of having it. I don't use it for voice calls that often, especially now.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 358 Likes on 232 Posts

I also have CarLinkIt and have had a good experience. Don't talk on the phone often, but when I have I haven't noticed much delay beyond what is typical of cell phones (fun thing to try: call someone in another car via cell phone to cell phone and watch them speak while listening on your cell only. You can visually see the delay between their mouth moving and when you hear them through the phone.)

The only real issue I've noticed is that the parking system occasionally causes issues with the CarPlay display:
  • MMI screen goes black when the PDC display times out - have to cycle between CarPlay option 1-3 times to get the display back. This can happen when the PDC is triggered for any reason. Eventually the MMI will revert to whatever was displaying prior to PDC activation. 9 out of 10 times CarPlay will return. The other time it is a black screen.
  • Wireless CarPlay will not connect to iPhone if the PDC activates before the system fully starts up and displays in MMI. This usually happens if I pull out of my driveway while the connecting to iPhone screen is displaying on the MMI display. The driveway : road transition causes the from to the car to dip far enough that the front parking sensors are triggered. If I wait until the wireless CarPlay system is fully initialized then everything works normally.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stwus
I use Carlinkit and it has been really good. I really don't like to plugging in the charging cable when I have a wireless charging pad there. It kinda defeats the purpose of having it. I don't use it for voice calls that often, especially now.
No popping/crackling/skipping? I love this thing and can deal with the slight delay, but there are times where the stuttering and crackling makes it unusable. Wondering if the crackling is just my unit. Is yours fully up to date? I feel like this may have started after the most recent update...
Old 04-27-2020, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

i personally havnt had the stuttering or crackling too much. it seems like when i drive on a very specific on ramp, theres some skipping but i dont have the issues you are stating. mine is also fully up to date (although i dont think theyve updated it for a while)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This was my main pet peeve the instant I got my new RS5 2019, a few issues that I was like "how can you be so far behind", but alas ... i just bought the carlinkit so we will see what happens. A couple questions for people though:

1) Is there any conflict if you have the carlink set up (#2 center console) and someone hooks there phone to charge in the #1 slot? Will theirs take priority?
2) Does anyone know if the 2020 S5 phonebox is compatible with the 2019 RRS5?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywood_wc
This was my main pet peeve the instant I got my new RS5 2019, a few issues that I was like "how can you be so far behind", but alas ... i just bought the carlinkit so we will see what happens. A couple questions for people though:

1) Is there any conflict if you have the carlink set up (#2 center console) and someone hooks there phone to charge in the #1 slot? Will theirs take priority?
2) Does anyone know if the 2020 S5 phonebox is compatible with the 2019 RRS5?

No problem for me. You need to go into the Connection Manager to switch users. Otherwise, whatever is connected first will stay that way.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome, thanks ... now I am waiting for Audi to get back to me on the compatibility of the Audi Phone Box.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 309 Likes on 233 Posts

And us Android users are still plugging in every day.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

I came on this thread recently, having stopped regular visits to the forum as my old A5 and I got to know each other quite well. That's been swapped out for an S5, and so I'm back regularly and enthusiastically. So first of all, thanks to those participating in this thread. I'm plenty savvy with technology, but somehow even the notion of devices like these just escaped me. This thread prompted me to buy one from "Carlinkit Brand Store" via Amazon on May 15. I paid $129.99 for it, and it arrived with Prime shipping on May 18. You'll find several different versions of this basic device on Amazon, and I don't pretend to understand what the differences are, aside from pricing.

Anyway, after about six hours in the car with it yesterday, hopping in and out several times, I'd say it is pretty solid. I didn't make any phone calls, but I was listening to music and podcasts, listening to and sending texts, and using several different navigation apps. The loading screen is kinda janky looking, but I can live with that. My only real complaint is that every button press, either from the steering wheel or the extra volume **** on the console, resulted in a lag of maybe 1.5-2 seconds. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but if you're trying to - for example - jump back 15 or 30 seconds in a podcast, it's annoying and leads to confusion. What I don't know is whether there's a lag like that on factory wireless CarPlay, too. Can anyone address that?

And so having used it first hand, it works fine. I know problems may crop up with it eventually, but first impression is good. I'm left wondering whether that functionality is worth the $130 it costs, and I'm on the fence about it. I think the real value probably isn't for long drives, where it isn't such a big deal to plug it in and leave it. Instead, I may find it's useful on short drives, where CarPlay will just pop up on its own with the phone in my pocket, or a bag, etc. I also did think it was useful when, say, at a light, if I wanted to grab the phone and look at something on it.

PS - Is this thing sending the entire contents of my phone back to China?

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay