Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL
There’s a sticker near the lower driver’s door sill. The first line says MFG By Audi AG, next to it has something that looks like a date code (MM YY). Mine shows 02 22; so Feb 2022.

The myAudi app never listed this recall, only the EVSE cable recall. Now the EVSE cable recall is no longer showing in the app. The NHTSA site shows both recalls are applicable to my VIN.
The built date of my AUDI eTron Chronos is 5/2022. The NHTSA site, as of today 12/27/23 shows only the cable recall. Neither the cable of battery recall show on the App.

Last edited by LIKEGADGETS; 12-27-2023 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Updated build date information
Old 12-27-2023, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Early in the introduction of the 2019 etron quattro there in fact was a recall due to the potential for the battery to catch fire. So, this would be the second recall on the 2019 battery.
Yes, there was one, but not because the battery itself. The problem was a seal behind the charging connector around the high voltage cable. The seal allowed water to seep through, travel along the high voltage cable into the battery. This water could cause fire in the battery. The new recall is about battery itself can short circuit, looks like without any outside intervention.
The following users liked this post:
JNealCox (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
@LIKEGADGETS Thanks for the info. Can you please give me the manufacturing year and month of your e-tron, thus we can narrow down which car is effected. As your car is outside of this range. Thanks.
May 2022

Old 12-27-2023, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

I think Audi would like to get away with this with software, but here is some fact and some speculation:

Fact_1: From March 2019 until January 2021, Audi used battery cells LG Chem E66A, manufactured by LG Chem in Poland, It has NCM 622 chemistry and 220Wh module. From January 2021 until 2023 it switched to Samsung SDI cells manufactured in Hungary with the same chemistry and electric property.

Fact_2: Hyundai Kona MY18-20 used battery cells by LG Chem E63B, manufactured by LG Chem in China. It has same chemistry and almost same physical dimention and electric property as the Audi LG Chem battery.

Fact_3: Hyundai had (had to) replace the full battery in those cars as those batteries had a risk to catch fire due to the manufacturing problem (short circuit causing the fire). Hyundai replaced 88,000 car batteries, costing around $900 mill. Also LG Chem made the batteries for Chevrolet Bolt, also GM replaced the full battery pack in every cars due to fire risk.

Speculation: For early e-trons (MY19-21), the battery almost identical to Hyundai Kona batteries. If Hyundai had to replace full battery pack for these, and the problem same or very similar in Audi, they have to do the same, as there is no way Audi can detect a battery latent manufacturing problem with software. I cannot speculate for the Samsung SDI battery, as I am not aware any problem with this battery.
I agree with you. If there is an issue with the battery, they should replace them. I believe LG Chem paid for it for Hyundai and GM. GM had to fight them pretty hard, though, to get them to pay for the new batteries. That is why they tried a software "fix" first . The software was supposed to detect conditions that made it more likely for a fire to get started. But that is not really a solution.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Audi would like to get away with this with software, but here is some fact and some speculation:

Fact_1: From March 2019 until January 2021, Audi used battery cells LG Chem E66A, manufactured by LG Chem in Poland, It has NCM 622 chemistry and 220Wh module. From January 2021 until 2023 it switched to Samsung SDI cells manufactured in Hungary with the same chemistry and electric property.

Fact_2: Hyundai Kona MY18-20 used battery cells by LG Chem E63B, manufactured by LG Chem in China. It has same chemistry and almost same physical dimention and electric property as the Audi LG Chem battery.

Fact_3: Hyundai had (had to) replace the full battery in those cars as those batteries had a risk to catch fire due to the manufacturing problem (short circuit causing the fire). Hyundai replaced 88,000 car batteries, costing around $900 mill. Also LG Chem made the batteries for Chevrolet Bolt, also GM replaced the full battery pack in every cars due to fire risk.

Speculation: For early e-trons (MY19-21), the battery almost identical to Hyundai Kona batteries. If Hyundai had to replace full battery pack for these, and the problem same or very similar in Audi, they have to do the same, as there is no way Audi can detect a battery latent manufacturing problem with software. I cannot speculate for the Samsung SDI battery, as I am not aware any problem with this battery.
Originally Posted by ThomasW
I agree with you. If there is an issue with the battery, they should replace them. I believe LG Chem paid for it for Hyundai and GM. GM had to fight them pretty hard, though, to get them to pay for the new batteries. That is why they tried a software "fix" first . The software was supposed to detect conditions that made it more likely for a fire to get started. But that is not really a solution.
These are fine points and, while my (based on GoM, back of napkin) 20% range reduction might be due to hills and an aging, thus tamer, lead foot, I certainly wouldn't mind a new pack. Well, provided I don't have to charge to 50%, park 50ft from structures, or take similar extraordinary measures for the year or more it'd take Audi to source them.

After 20 or so VAG cars, I knew fully what I was getting into. And, sadly, my original comment about a software update was based on my long history watching VW, Audi, etc, dodge responsibility. Long-time VAG owners know, Musk and Tesla are only refining the disavow and deny approach to customer service and responsibility that VW group invented. Unfortunately, they get everything else so right that us Stockholm syndrome customers are willing to look past basic reliability and consistent warranty adherence.

Last edited by stigshero; 12-27-2023 at 02:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stigshero:
deemz (12-28-2023), Tronification (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Just checked and my 19 prestige is under both the cable and battery recall.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 140 Posts

Mine as well. Audi server isn't working right now, use

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?vin=YourVINgoesHere#vin
Old 12-28-2023, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV;[url=tel:25872203
25872203[/url]]Audi server isn't working right now …

The following users liked this post:
WetEV (12-28-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 01:02 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Where can I check european vin for recall?
Old 12-29-2023, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2019 Prestige is included in the 2 recalls.

Quick Reply: Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867