Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by critter6835
Agree - a few very vocal individuals. I really don't understand why they keep posting in the Q8 forum with all the hate.
Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL

They did their research, bought a different car, yet keep telling us what a bad decision we have made

Purpose ?
I need a "Like" button.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
I need a "Like" button.
Yeah, those posts would be racking up the “likes” . MacanForum had that, great feature.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Although there is no reason anyone can't post here, the site is called Audiworld. If you (the hypothetical you) don't care for Audi and their products why would you bother to participate in an AW forum? If you don't care for Audis and their cars, I guess you're welcome to share your ire, but it would seem unlikely you will be engaged once your anti-bias is revealed.

We have a Q8. Ours is a nicely equipped P+. It was $79,340. We had and have looked at the Cayenne (2019) and have attempted to configure a Cayenne that has the features of our Q8. The closest we could come was +$12,000. We drove an X6 and just for "fun" I drove an RS5. At the time, we had a 2018 SQ5 with a 2019 SQ5 on order -- the Q8 blew us away.

Although it is NOT all about the price, the Q8 seems to be very competitively priced against what else can be had at the $80K price point. A new Cayenne is quite the temptation IF you do not know about the Q8 and it's price/value equation. Then again, you configure your Q8 and your Cayenne very similarly and you look at the performance data -- the Q8 is 0-60 @ 5.6 seconds while the Cayenne says it is 5.9 seconds. While some may think the Q8 needs a bit more "oomph," when you're facing an additional $12K in cost, and the performance is even worse, whattya going to do?

If you are predisposed against Audi why rain on our parades here? But if you want to tell us how great your whatever is and how lame our Audis are, well it still remains an open site welcoming those of all persuasions (regarding automobiles, of course.)

On the other hand, if you are predisposed for Audi, share your bias here.

Our Q8 is among the best of our 34 Audis -- and it is, for sure, the quietest, by far.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
At the time, we had a 2018 SQ5 with a 2019 SQ5 on order -- the Q8 blew us away.
i haven’t driven a SQ5, but it was on my list of possible Q7 replacements in the future (along with the Macan) when I would be ready to downsize from the Q7, before the Q8 came along.

Do you really think the Q8 feels faster than the SQ5 ?
Old 12-31-2018, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

No. The SQ5 is quicker than the Q8 -- the SQ5 is a great car. The lux quotient of the Q8 plus decent performance is what got us.

If you are looking for performance in an SUV the SQ5 and hopefully an RSQ5 would have to be on your short list.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
No. The SQ5 is quicker than the Q8 -- the SQ5 is a great car. The lux quotient of the Q8 plus decent performance is what got us.

If you are looking for performance in an SUV the SQ5 and hopefully an RSQ5 would have to be on your short list.
I needed a car quickly after an accident and had a good lease deal worked out on an 18 Monsoon SQ5. I had a 2010 3.2L Q5 awhile back and loved it. After a couple Porsche’ I was looking forward to getting my second Audi. When I got to the dealer to pick up the SQ5 I decided I need to wait a few days to hear from my insurance whether my car was a total loss or not. Then I walked into the showroom and saw a loaded Daytona Q8 on the floor. I was like what is this?!?! Had no idea there was such thing as a Q8. Was very very impressed. I started researching the car and the rest is history. That Daytona Q8 is now in my garage.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow this post covers a lot of topics!
How can we say that a dealers inventory is high if we do not know their sales rate? Inventories are relative and not necessarily an indicator of poor sales, in fact they could be an indicator of good sales! If a dealer has 30 Q8's showing as in inventory, but 1 fourth of those are "in transit" that could be because they are selling. I don't' think successful dealers are going to keep ordering large numbers of vehicles that they don't believe they will sell, especially at 80-95k per. Generally it is easier to sell when you have inventory than when you don't, even if some of those buyers know they are going to order. If same dealer has 130 Q7's do we automatically know that Q7 sales are bombing? I don't think so. To me if that same dealer had 30 Q8's in inventory and none on order, it might be more concerning.

Based upon the price, styling and sales of similar vehicles [guessing GLE Coupe and X6] I think it is safe to say that Audi did not expect the Q8 to sell in huge quantities, I assume they do not need to sell them in large quantities in order for them to consider it a success.
I have had 4 Q7's and loved them; the last 2 being a 17 Prestige and an 18 Prestige fully loaded except B&O I knew i was going to replace the Q7 and i knew I wanted something a little different. Without the Q8 Audi would have lost me this time around. A new Q7 with an interior refresh would not have kept me in Audi even though i loved the Q7. I was going to order a GLE coupe to get something a bit more visually stimulating but when i found that the 19 GLE coupes still had the IPOD glued to the dash and that the redesigned interior was not going to be available until the 2020 model, I waited.

The Cayenne was not a consideration for me in that I had one a few years back and it was great, i even kind of miss it, but for me it was a one time thing. You really pay through the nose for the Porsche nameplate, and to me it was a great experience but not worth the cost of doing it again.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, I expect that the cold weather package is less of a necessity in SoCal !
Old 01-01-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Building the Cayenne optioned the way I want was, as you note, eye watering. Part of my decision-making process is that I'd have to narrow down my list of options for the Cayenne. Think I was down to base Cayenne, premium package plus, park assist plus, ACC, and a few things to get it only close to the Q8, and this brought it over $100,000. Since most of my driving is a 35 mile commute (each way) on highways, even though the Porsche was clearly more of a "driver's car", I may rarely be able to exploit that enhanced capability.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quote: Why wouldn't you order the exact car you want especially with a 3 month lead time due to your current lease? Why would you wait for dealer inventory?

My dealer was trying to capture an ordered build from another dealer, and that lead time shows delivery mid-March. Would a straight order be faster?

Quick Reply: Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories