Resident speeding ticket & laser experts in BC (or other provinces). Questions:

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotcha. I think it happened once when I saw a cop in court trying to ask for a continuance

and the excuse they gave was that the person there had asked for one once. Except that the person had done it prior to showing up (like I described) and not on court day. IIRC the judge said no, or the person said it would be undue hardship on him to try to set up yet another date and come back in...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Technical argument, probably correct but probably won't work

plus bear in mind that until the limitation period expires (one year here, dunno in Ontario) the Prosecutor can simply apply to amend the ticket to show the correct legislative provision or issue a new ticket.

The body of the ticket may also state something like "speeding against posted limit" or even "speeding against sign" which for most Judges would be enough to make the section number a correctible error. Also, in Ontario there may be jurisprudence establishing that subsection one is an included offence, stranger things have happened.

Fianlly, legal advice is never worth more than you paid for it.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thx 4 the reply. I'm in BC, I assume it doesn't affect your response. What do you think about

the fact that they were pulling people over non stop?

I don't know how many readings a gun can hold of if it's just the one you shot you see, but they were pulling people over one after another within seconds. Don't they have to keep the speed on the unit in case you want to view it? Can they just go pop, pop, pop and pull different cars over?

As another poster said, if two cops were involved, I'm hoping both would have to show up to court.