Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Best all season tires for 2014 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Warhead-
Coupla nice guys tried to play Oreo Sandwich with me one day, that's how I came to appreciate the ESC/ABS system and just how delicately a hippo can dance. Now if Audi would only get on the program and sell pink tutu's in the correct size...

There is no TPMS in my Q5. No sensor hardware in the wheels at all. The car uses the pulses from the ABS system to figure out if one tire is low, which is very nice, although a PITA because it doesn't tell you WHICH wheel, and that wheel has to be about 6psi down before it trips. Possibly all the older systems with TPMS sensors used metal stubs, while all the new ones use rubber? Or vice-versa?

Or do the SQ's really still use TPMS to be more precise and sporty?
Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Warhead-
Coupla nice guys tried to play Oreo Sandwich with me one day, that's how I came to appreciate the ESC/ABS system and just how delicately a hippo can dance. Now if Audi would only get on the program and sell pink tutu's in the correct size...

There is no TPMS in my Q5. No sensor hardware in the wheels at all. The car uses the pulses from the ABS system to figure out if one tire is low, which is very nice, although a PITA because it doesn't tell you WHICH wheel, and that wheel has to be about 6psi down before it trips. Possibly all the older systems with TPMS sensors used metal stubs, while all the new ones use rubber? Or vice-versa?

Don't know how low before it warns you but you can store set pressure in the menu. I just added 2 pounds over on my tires, set the menu and then put the tires back where they should. I'm guessing I will get a low tire sooner.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Warhead-
There is no TPMS in my Q5. No sensor hardware in the wheels at all. The car uses the pulses from the ABS system to figure out if one tire is low, which is very nice, although a PITA because it doesn't tell you WHICH wheel, and that wheel has to be about 6psi down before it trips.
Indirect TPMS or deflation warning system DWS is selectable on the radio (save current parameters). It​​​​​ does a similar job but uses ABS. My 2009 Q5 had that feature disabled but ABS hardware supported it (1AT code supports TPMS 1AS does not). I have enabled TPMS by coding 3 control units however Audi service has reset this a few times using svm spec / acual comparison after a firmware update. There should be a permanent Audi svm code to retain that feature. Loyalty fees to Bosch would be the issue?? It is like efficiency and lapimer which were also disabled.

​​​​​​AUDI service should be able to amend the spec xml parameters (as sold) also called PR codes and register them to the audi on-line database. Their system does not allow this flexibility.

E.g. keyless entry, laptimer, TPMS, door warning and puddle lights retrofit, power tail gate, security alarm retrofit, and many other can be retrofitted later.
​​​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-01-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Warhead-

Have the rubber stems but it says if only one tire is affected, the display will indicate it's position.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

when we bought our airstream trailer , we added a 6(4 for the q5 + 2 for the trailer) channel temp/pressure sensor. then sell it upto 22 channel
EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 6 Sensors (TPMS)
Amazon Amazon

it works very well
you set low and high pressure and high temp
it is wireless and replaces your tire vale cap
it also locks on and cant be removed without a tool

i got mine off Amazon
i will move the 4 caps to my winter tire this winter

it is on my car 100% of the time, wi the trailer or note
Old 10-05-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
when we bought our airstream trailer , we added a 6(4 for the q5 + 2 for the trailer) channel temp/pressure sensor. then sell it upto 22 channel
EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 6 Sensors (TPMS)
Amazon Amazon

it works very well
you set low and high pressure and high temp
it is wireless and replaces your tire vale cap
it also locks on and cant be removed without a tool

i got mine off Amazon
i will move the 4 caps to my winter tire this winter

it is on my car 100% of the time, wi the trailer or note
Interesting product. Tire sensor doesn’t affect wheel balance? Must be low mass.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a set of Conti DWS06's, I like them so far. I have had good luck with the original DWS's on two other cars, they were very smooth riding and quiet with good handling. My first impression of the DWS06's is that they are slightly less smooth and quiet but better handling, a compromise I am willing to live with as long as they do not get any harsher than they are now.

Other than that, I have nothing to add to this thread. I have only ever bought Continental tires, I am very brand loyal, however if these don't work out I'll be looking into something along the lines of a grand touring tire that's super smooth and quiet, but I have no need for any snow capability since I'm down in Texas.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthyQ
I just got a set of Conti DWS06's, I like them so far. I have had good luck with the original DWS's on two other cars, they were very smooth riding and quiet with good handling. My first impression of the DWS06's is that they are slightly less smooth and quiet but better handling, a compromise I am willing to live with as long as they do not get any harsher than they are now.

Other than that, I have nothing to add to this thread. I have only ever bought Continental tires, I am very brand loyal, however if these don't work out I'll be looking into something along the lines of a grand touring tire that's super smooth and quiet, but I have no need for any snow capability since I'm down in Texas.
I purchased DWS06's in the 255/50-19 plus size last October and have put over 10,000 miles on them. I love them. After playing with tire pressure I find that 31 lbs/in2 provide best handling and ride comfort. Very pleased with both these tires and my Q5 TDI that has almost 53,000 miles.

My prior tires were Goodyear Eagle LS2's OEM's which were pretty good. Got 42,000 miles on those.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 10-09-2017 at 12:57 PM.