Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 a car for.....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rberg
Perhaps in North America it is viewed as a womans care, but in Europe the price is to high to be a second car in the household
Congrats on Your Q5,
but in US this is a luxury car - not every family can afford this car even as a first car.
And I don't quite understand your logic here - women car -
a second car in the household
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I mean is because the price here in N/A is reasonable, typically you could afford to have the 2nd car Like a Q5. As in Europe, you really have to be extremly loaded to have both cars. Hence it is perceived in Europe as a luxury car and that why they targeting successful men in their late 30's with a family. It is to expensive to be purely focused on woman. Te pricing is what makes the 2 different.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Q5 (as with most SUVs) is viewed more as a "family car" than a "woman's car" -- just as the station wagon and minivan used to be, SUVs and crossovers are often purchased to haul the family around town and on trips. This is probably not all that different between Europe and NA.

I can see how in Europe, where many families have only one car, there's not a perception of it as a "woman's car" or a "man's car" but more of the family car. In North America where more families have two cars, the SUV/crossover serves as the "family" car while another car serves the other driver. Since in many cases it's the mom who takes the kids more often, the SUV/crossover tends to be driven more by the mom. But dad will still often drive the car.

Of course not every buyer is alike, and single people (with and without kids) will buy the Q5 too.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
It's too early - let's wait at list another 6 month.
Also we have European and Panamanian members here - guys - who is driver in Q5 in your country?
If one goes by Audi's own advertisements you don't have to wait: they see the Q5 as a woman's car that competes with the RX. I think it is interesting (not to mention shortsighted) that they have chosen to position the Q5 this way because it is very possible to pitch the vehicle to different audiences in different ads on TV, online, magazines, etc. They have chosen not to do that.

Here are the two ads currently running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tzrmUN-7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MTpaBUCpc
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
I think the Q5 (as with most SUVs) is viewed more as a "family car" than a "woman's car" -- just as the station wagon and minivan used to be, SUVs and crossovers are often purchased to haul the family around town and on trips. This is probably not all that different between Europe and NA.

I can see how in Europe, where many families have only one car, there's not a perception of it as a "woman's car" or a "man's car" but more of the family car. In North America where more families have two cars, the SUV/crossover serves as the "family" car while another car serves the other driver. Since in many cases it's the mom who takes the kids more often, the SUV/crossover tends to be driven more by the mom. But dad will still often drive the car.

Of course not every buyer is alike, and single people (with and without kids) will buy the Q5 too.
Like me. Not single (have partner) but we both have SUVs. We also own a weekend home in the mountains and needed AWD for winters and more room for our dogs. If it weren't for that, I would have the A6 3.0 Supercharged.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AUDISYTE
Although my wife is the primary driver of the Q. I think the masculine lines on the car are evident. This would never be mistaken for a "chicks ride". In fact in black (which is the color I got) with all the windows tinted out, it looks down right menacing. Or take a look at Tony's S-Line that is pure sex, which is a good thing for a man
There are definitely things you can do to butch up the car: color choice, accessories, lifestyle, etc. (btw, picking up your kid after school in the Q5 is not a good way to butch it up)

I saw a black S-line in the dealership and it looked way cool. I'd have no problem owning that.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BayGBM
There are definitely things you can do to butch up the car: color choice, accessories, lifestyle, etc. (btw, picking up your kid after school in the Q5 is not a good way to butch it up)

I saw a black S-line in the dealership and it looked way cool. I'd have no problem owning that.
Just my opinion here, but if you have serious issues owning this car because it looks like a chick car, or is compared to the RX, you have some serious insecurity issues.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BayGBM
If one goes by Audi's own advertisements you don't have to wait: they see the Q5 as a woman's car that competes with the RX. I think it is interesting (not to mention shortsighted) that they have chosen to position the Q5 this way because it is very possible to pitch the vehicle to different audiences in different ads on TV, online, magazines, etc. They have chosen not to do that.

Here are the two ads currently running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9tzrmUN-7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MTpaBUCpc
Actually if you look at the second ad (at the school), you can see that Audi specifically chose a male driver (presumably the father).

I would guess that the campaign is targeted at both sexes - yes, they are clearly targeting the RX-driving-mom audience, but the second ad suggests they are also targeting men (who they are suggesting might be a bit more proud to pick up their kids in the more "masculine" Q5 than in the RXs all the moms are driving).

Some ads can connect with slightly different audiences in slightly different ways but still be meaningful. I don't know if this campaign is one of those, but I suppose it could be. But I do think it's quite effective at focusing on one single-minded idea/communication objective and getting the point across very well. In that respect I would say it is actually quite a good campaign.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
Actually if you look at the second ad (at the school), you can see that Audi specifically chose a male driver (presumably the father).

I would guess that the campaign is targeted at both sexes - yes, they are clearly targeting the RX-driving-mom audience, but the second ad suggests they are also targeting men (who they are suggesting might be a bit more proud to pick up their kids in the more "masculine" Q5 than in the RXs all the moms are driving).

Some ads can connect with slightly different audiences in slightly different ways but still be meaningful. I don't know if this campaign is one of those, but I suppose it could be. But I do think it's quite effective at focusing on one single-minded idea/communication objective and getting the point across very well. In that respect I would say it is actually quite a good campaign.

I’ve discussed both ads before in previous threads. Although I like the Q5, neither of these ads are particularly compelling. Simply telling consumers that you are not an RX is not a reason to buy a product otherwise a Ford Focus or a loaf of bread could make the same claim. Comparison ads work best when product A is able to tell/show you why they are better. Is product A more luxurious? Does it have better specs? Better performance? Is it less expensive/a better value? etc. All these ads tell us is that an alternative to a very popular SUV exists in the form of the Q5.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woman's perspective ....

as a "girl" owner of a Q7 - I have to agree that the Q5 seems more feminine to me - from the perspective of a "softer" SUV - smaller than the 7 and competitive with the X3 ... but with that said, I'm sure Audi knew that the male audience was a given, and they were hoping to get some women on board with the size and styling - hence the "kids at school" ad ... both Q's are agressive vehicles and as others have said, very appealing to both sexes ... I bought the Q7 for its towing capacity - a feature seemingly lost on the Q5 and it was an upgrade from my allroad - thought I would never drive an SUV, especially a BIG one, but I have fallen completely in love with the beast!

Quick Reply: Q5 a car for.....?