Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Questions about Q5

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snagitseven--thanks for the pros and cons re AudiCare. I will likely do it for my new Q5 but was wondering about waiting until the 15K service. Given my usual mileage, it might take me 2 years--just wondering if the price will go up next few years and if it is worth paying for now and locking in vs waiting a few years and the risk that the cost of AudiCare will go up.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by robodoc
snagitseven--thanks for the pros and cons re AudiCare. I will likely do it for my new Q5 but was wondering about waiting until the 15K service. Given my usual mileage, it might take me 2 years--just wondering if the price will go up next few years and if it is worth paying for now and locking in vs waiting a few years and the risk that the cost of AudiCare will go up.
Actually, I should have clarified it better. Scheduled service intervals after the 5K initial service (or approx 6 months in your case) specify each 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. If you only drive 7500 each year, you would still use the scheduled four services provided by Audi Care over the four (and a half) years. So, in your case, you could buy it when you bring in your car one year after the 5K (or six months, whichever comes first) service. Or get it now - it's really up to you how long you want to hold on to your money or get it out of the way early.

As to the price, in my experience, each year, Audi tends to raise the cost of AC about $40 to $50 so the risk of waiting is not that great. That said, so far, the MY2014 price has not gone up from last year.

Here's the details:
http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...s-Brochure.pdf
Old 10-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Audi Care is a pre-paid maintenance program. There are no third party maintenance programs, just extended warranties as far as I know.
Since the first 5K service is free and Audi Care starts at the 15K service, I've waited to buy Audi Care on my last two Audis until I bring my car in for the 15K service to buy it.

*SNIP*
Excellent info. Cheers for that.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi Care is a pre-paid maintenance program.
Yes and whether you buy (finance) or lease roll into your payments. A lot cheaper than paying for it up front. Just about 50% cheaper.

About the VW Touareg, fully loaded TDi is sub $60K but you get the level of service as stated from a Ford, Chevy dealer etc. That is rather irritating since I looked at the Touareg prior to the Q5 TDi.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 03EX
About the VW Touareg, fully loaded TDi is sub $60K but you get the level of service as stated from a Ford, Chevy dealer etc. That is rather irritating since I looked at the Touareg prior to the Q5 TDi.
I also looked at the Touareg, but felt it was too big. VW dealerships aren't any better or worse than Audi where I live - similar mediocre scores on Yelp, for example.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EX
Yes and whether you buy (finance) or lease roll into your payments. A lot cheaper than paying for it up front. Just about 50% cheaper.
Actually that's sort of correct. Since the Audi Care profit is very small to dealers, they will rarely discount it. Some say it was "thrown in" or "half price" but since it was equivalent to a discount that arguably could have been negotiated on the car price, it isn't "free". However, if Audi Care is purchased (and rolled into the lease) at the time of delivery, AFS will increase the lease residual by 1%, reducing the payments and making it a no brainer for lessees. I don't believe buying AC affects a finance transaction in any way, however,
Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually that's sort of correct. Since the Audi Care profit is very small to dealers, they will rarely discount it. Some say it was "thrown in" or "half price" but since it was equivalent to a discount that arguably could have been negotiated on the car price, it isn't "free". However, if Audi Care is purchased (and rolled into the lease) at the time of delivery, AFS will increase the lease residual by 1%, reducing the payments and making it a no brainer for lessees. I don't believe buying AC affects a finance transaction in any way, however,
Audi dealers are NOT discounting AC, nor did I say that. I am saying that AC rolled in your purchase / lease is cheaper than paying for it up front. The 'discount' in question is done automatically. AC is $840 approx., when rolled in, it is broken down to a sum of $420 which in turn is a no brainer at that point. The dealer is not doing that, Audi Financial calculates it. The profit margin is slim as you mentioned.