Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Active Lane Assist Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
When we bought our 2018 SQ5, our dealer was implying the Q8 would have this newer version as well. I do not think it go it though (but unsure). Not going to lie to you, I was always the "bah... silly useless feature" guy until I got our Audi. Even with it's flaws, it makes driving on those straight, mind-numbing roads, a lot less fatiguing. I would be definitely giving this feature a lot more attention in my next test drives for sure.
Oh totally. In my RS5 I only had ACC, but I swore then that I would never buy another car that doesn't at least have ACC. While I primarily buy cars for the joy of driving them myself, I do a lot of grand touring and having at least ACC is a boon to arriving somewhat relaxed at the other end and makes being stuck in traffic a lot less frustrating. I've tested the Audi lane keep assist and traffic jam assist extensively when I was shopping for my new car, and I found them frustrating, but I love love the systems in my C63S. I've resumed my canyon runs last weekend, now that life is somewhat returning to something more normal. Drove about 250 miles last Saturday and yesterday and after not having used any of the assistance systems over the last two months it reminded me why I opted for them in the first place. It's such a pleasure to have the car do much of the mundane driving as I'm heading out to the canyons, so that I'm refreshed and alert when the fun driving starts, and then on the way home I can relax and let the car do much of the driving again. But even just having had ACC alone in the RS5 made a huge difference in not being fatigued at the end of long drives or totally frustrated in traffic situations.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 309 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh totally. In my RS5 I only had ACC, but I swore then that I would never buy another car that doesn't at least have ACC. While I primarily buy cars for the joy of driving them myself, I do a lot of grand touring and having at least ACC is a boon to arriving somewhat relaxed at the other end and makes being stuck in traffic a lot less frustrating. I've tested the Audi lane keep assist and traffic jam assist extensively when I was shopping for my new car, and I found them frustrating, but I love love the systems in my C63S. I've resumed my canyon runs last weekend, now that life is somewhat returning to something more normal. Drove about 250 miles last Saturday and yesterday and after not having used any of the assistance systems over the last two months it reminded me why I opted for them in the first place. It's such a pleasure to have the car do much of the mundane driving as I'm heading out to the canyons, so that I'm refreshed and alert when the fun driving starts, and then on the way home I can relax and let the car do much of the driving again. But even just having had ACC alone in the RS5 made a huge difference in not being fatigued at the end of long drives or totally frustrated in traffic situations.
Adaptive cruise control is definitely on my must have list for any new car. I was originally going to buy the BMW X3 but here in Florida, there were none to be had. I finally found one that was being assembled, but when I test drove a similar car, I hated the seat back rest. They put sport seats in the entire line for 2019 and the boulsters stuck in my back. Weird that it was so hard to find one with acc in it. It is one of my favorite options. Without it, cruise control is worthless unless you are in an area with no traffic. I also have the package with the traffic jam stuff, so in stop and go traffic, my car stops and starts with the traffic. I love it, but I don't drive in traffic that much these days. Now that I am retired, I try to stay off the roads during the morning and afternoon drive times so the people that do work, can use the roads. I have plenty of time on the off hours do do my stuff.

Last edited by ribeye; 05-24-2020 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
georgeee (10-28-2022)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

My Premium Plus didn't have it but I enabled it with OBDeleven. I don't have a switch to turn it off and in nearly a year I have yet to get annoyed with it to the point of wishing I could turn it off. Can't relate to the complaints on this thread.

However I will mention that I had a 2020 Hyundai Elantra rental car last week that had its version of active lane assist. It was much more aggressive than Audi, had an annoying chime if you touched the lane lines, and prompted me to take wheel control at least five times on a 14-hour trip. Audi implementation is better but not perfect.

Most annoying part of the Hyundai was there is no chirp when you lock the doors with the keyfob, so if you want to confirm the doors are locked, you hit it again and now the stupid car honks its horn. How dumb. Just give us a chirp.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2018 Prestige ALA doesn't get turned on much anymore due to all the "false" PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL alerts, when my hands are still on the wheel. Such a crap system for a $70k vehicle.