Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect

Hi All,

I purchased a new 2019 SQ5 last month. Looks like it comes with Audi Connect for free for a few months (which I believe includes the WiFi). I got all logged into the Audi Connect site but I don't know what the steps are in setting up the WiFi. Do I need to call my carrier? Is there a password for that network when people try to login? Is there a data limit?

Thanks so much for the help! Love my new Audi!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The WiFi is just repeating the AT&T Cellular signal used for the Maps and Nav in your car. IE in-car WiFi systems are nothing more than a Cellular WiFi hotspot. So if you have bad AT&T cellular coverage your WiFi will not work either...

You can turn on the hotspot feature in your smartphone and have the same function as your in-car WiFi except without having to pay for a separate and crazy-priced in car WiFi plan.

The dealers and marketing leads customers to believe that in-car WiFi uses satellites or has some stronger signal than your smartphone. The only real difference is that the in-car WiFi has it’s cellular antenna on the roof of your car...which might get you one extra bar...but will not help you in the bush or out of cellular coverage. Same thing for the emergency 911 feature in the car, it relies on AT&T cellular system.

AT&T provide the hardware for this in-car WiFi BS to Audi for free and make their money by charging you 4x what you pay on your smartphone for a data plan.
Don’t waste your time or money....
Old 06-14-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MkVI GTI
The WiFi is just repeating the AT&T Cellular signal used for the Maps and Nav in your car. IE in-car WiFi systems are nothing more than a Cellular WiFi hotspot. So if you have bad AT&T cellular coverage your WiFi will not work either...

You can turn on the hotspot feature in your smartphone and have the same function as your in-car WiFi except without having to pay for a separate and crazy-priced in car WiFi plan.

The dealers and marketing leads customers to believe that in-car WiFi uses satellites or has some stronger signal than your smartphone. The only real difference is that the in-car WiFi has it’s cellular antenna on the roof of your car...which might get you one extra bar...but will not help you in the bush or out of cellular coverage. Same thing for the emergency 911 feature in the car, it relies on AT&T cellular system.

AT&T provide the hardware for this in-car WiFi BS to Audi for free and make their money by charging you 4x what you pay on your smartphone for a data plan.
Don’t waste your time or money....

Thank you! This is very helpful.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBox
Hi All,

I purchased a new 2019 SQ5 last month. Looks like it comes with Audi Connect for free for a few months (which I believe includes the WiFi). I got all logged into the Audi Connect site but I don't know what the steps are in setting up the WiFi. Do I need to call my carrier? Is there a password for that network when people try to login? Is there a data limit?

Thanks so much for the help! Love my new Audi!
A good dealer would have set that up for you so you left the dealership with it working
Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 PM
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Verizon for my phone. I make a monthly trip to Phoenix from San Diego. There are lots of sections of the trip that I have decent car reception but absolutely no cell phone coverage.