Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

This Is How Loud the 2021 Audi SQ5 Exhaust Is

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

I assume its just some little black bits that snap on over the shiny tips. Check with a dealer for part numbers.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 343 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
It sounds louder and more aggressive inside the car when in Dynamic mode, I believe due to artificial sound coming from the speakers. I think it's called the "Soundacator" or something of the sort. Don't know if it changes things on the outside though, but it sure makes the vehicle more responsive.

I got behind a Q7 this morning in the cold air and exhaust vapor was coming out of both tailpipes. I suppose it has true exhaust "sport tips", unlike our SQ5s.
This is most likely the cause. I believe it's "Soundakator" (German). It is codable with OBDEleven, I turned mine off, but this is the default 2018 SQ5 setting:
Module A9: Actuator For Structure-Borne Sound -> Adaptation -> Volume of structure-borne noise actuator: Old value: 100.0 %

It's pure fluff, fake sound that plays through the cabin speakers. Nothing changes on the outside with it.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by wertz999
In the video it mentions black tips are now available as a dealer only add on. Anyone have these and how do they look? How hard would this be to put them on a hot sport exhaust with chrome tips or it might only be available as a complete exhaust package.
If you pop your head under the bumper and the tips installed have clamps, then they would be replaceable. Unless they are just slide on black covers.... No clue...

We did get a new SQ5 as a dealer loaner when ours was in for service. I get what people are complaining about with the fake tips. The plastic exhaust tips are a smidge tacky.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
This is most likely the cause. I believe it's "Soundakator" (German). It is codable with OBDEleven, I turned mine off, but this is the default 2018 SQ5 setting:
Module A9: Actuator For Structure-Borne Sound -> Adaptation -> Volume of structure-borne noise actuator: Old value: 100.0 %

It's pure fluff, fake sound that plays through the cabin speakers. Nothing changes on the outside with it.
I just turned mine down to 50% using Carista. Made a big improvement in the quietness of the ride. I think next time I'm in there I'll turn it off.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rdgrimes
I just turned mine down to 50% using Carista. Made a big improvement in the quietness of the ride. I think next time I'm in there I'll turn it off.
I didn't mind it when playing with the car around town, but if you drive in sport, it then starts putting in realistic sounding drone when driving up steep grades on the highway. That was a turn off considering how ridiculously quiet the cabin is normally.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires

There are no engine sounds coming through the cabin speakers. The Soundaktor is a sperate piece if hardware that's bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. It's a sound driver that uses the firewall as a speaker. Open the small trap door just below the passenger side wiper and you should see it.
The following users liked this post:
CJB14 (10-10-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BarneyM
There are no engine sounds coming through the cabin speakers. The Soundaktor is a sperate piece if hardware that's bolted to the firewall on the passenger side. It's a sound driver that uses the firewall as a speaker. Open the small trap door just below the passenger side wiper and you should see it.
I misquoted, you are correct. I mean it's a speaker type device doing the sounds (the 'Soundaktor') not actual engine sounds. Other cars (like the Mustang) have a tube that comes up from underneath to do a bit of a 'megaphone' type deal to couple real sound back into the cabin.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyM
my 2008 gti has this!
Old 02-13-2022, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a local exhaust shop replace the fake tips with “hot” black tips….posted info here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...grade-3021318/
The following 2 users liked this post by johnusnsd:
jfscheck (02-16-2022), Wires (02-13-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

On my 2022 S5, I paid CA$1100 for an optional sport exhaust coded ABU on the contract. I don't see a major difference compared to my 2019, honestly. Possibly louder in the upper range, unsure. I wonder if there is part # on the exhaust components that would attest that I paid for something different.

Last edited by BlakeV; 02-20-2022 at 04:53 AM.

Quick Reply: This Is How Loud the 2021 Audi SQ5 Exhaust Is