Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

RS style grille replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I was wrong. Looked closer to Audi docs and after removing bumper you will need to calibrate ACC radard and camera. I believe camera is the less important. ACC is much more. It is required each time but I believe the radars you will not touch and bumper will be in the same position.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
This so pisses me off. Porsche tries to pull the same crap. People were going to Porsche to have their 911 battery replaced. Porsche was charging for the battery, for the installation, all ok so far. But in addition they charge for battery programming. WTF. They claim you have to program the battery to charge correctly. When I asked my Porsche indie shop, that worked for Porsche for 18 years about this, he almost peed himself laughing. He said yeah some dealers were getting people to pay for that totally BS service. He thinks it’s more about making people paranoid about doing work themselves, thus losing money they could be stealing from us.
You don't need to program, but you do need to reset the system on a battery change. BMW is the same, the charging current is changed based on battery age. If you replace the battery and don't reset the system, it will end up destroying the new battery. I have the software for BMW, and it is necessary to do on a swap.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wires
You don't need to program, but you do need to reset the system on a battery change. BMW is the same, the charging current is changed based on battery age. If you replace the battery and don't reset the system, it will end up destroying the new battery. I have the software for BMW, and it is necessary to do on a swap.
It learns the new system battery. My last 911 I did the battery myself car and charging systems was fine. Still going.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

It learns the new system battery. My last 911 I did the battery myself car and charging systems was fine. Still going.
It cannot "learn" a new battery. All the modern (10 years and newer) vehicles disconnect the alternator when driving, engage when coasting or when power is needed (for fuel efficiency). As a battery ages, it's charging profile changes, and since it's no longer connected 100% of the time, they use a more aggressive charging to bring it up to full quicker.

Here is the link from Ross Tech on registering a new battery upon replacement.
Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

You don't HAVE to do it, but you won't get the same life out of a new battery.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It cannot "learn" a new battery. All the modern (10 years and newer) vehicles disconnect the alternator when driving, engage when coasting or when power is needed (for fuel efficiency). As a battery ages, it's charging profile changes, and since it's no longer connected 100% of the time, they use a more aggressive charging to bring it up to full quicker.

Here is the link from Ross Tech on registering a new battery upon replacement.
Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

You don't HAVE to do it, but you won't get the same life out of a new battery.
Well the guy who bought my 997 5 years ago is STILL going with the same battery. Lives in my town. I’ll have to tell him to get it coded right away.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did a quick internet search on Battery replacement and registration of batteries... turns out Audi is not the only one... BMW has this as well. I am surprised that this is the first time I have heard of such a thing.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, there is a lot of brands (basically because the alternator is decoupled during most driving conditions). Also noticed there are a lot of members on this forum that get their panties in a bunch if corrected.

Anyways.... back on topic. I'd be interested in hearing from someone that's swapped grills as well. My SQ5 in black looks like the bazillion other black Q5's in my neck of the woods. I'm anxiously waiting for grill like this for the SQ5....
Old 03-26-2018, 09:08 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, there is a lot of brands (basically because the alternator is decoupled during most driving conditions). Also noticed there are a lot of members on this forum that get their panties in a bunch if corrected.
hahah... so true...
Anyways.... back on topic. I'd be interested in hearing from someone that's swapped grills as well. My SQ5 in black looks like the bazillion other black Q5's in my neck of the woods. I'm anxiously waiting for grill like this for the SQ5....
Have you considered just getting your current grill re-finished... take it to a paint shop... have it removed and re-coated with the color of your choice. I know there are companies out there that will refinish/powdercoat/paint anything (Wheels, grills, brake calipers, etc, etc.) It seems like it might be just as cost effective, especially if you are willing to disassemble yourself.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rafi.kadafi
Ok I was wrong. Looked closer to Audi docs and after removing bumper you will need to calibrate ACC radard and camera. I believe camera is the less important. ACC is much more. It is required each time but I believe the radars you will not touch and bumper will be in the same position.
I appreciate you digging up this information, seems very helpful. I'm checking with someone I know whom owns a body shop to see if they have any first hand info they could offer up as well and will post my findings.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out LLTEK. Not sure which year you have but they offer an RS style grille for your SQ5 as well.
http://www.lltek.com/grills_q5.htm

Quick Reply: RS style grille replacement