S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

stock radio effed up, COMPUSTAR issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What the hell do pirellis have to do w/ audi. Why did you buy pirellis anyways?

I don't buy pirellis. They come stock on the car. so if you had the unfortunate mistake of purchasing one of these cars new, they came from the manufacturer with them. If you made the mistake of buying a CPO, they put them on if the car is in need of new tires. They won't put your toyos or kumhos or whatever on.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Default Re: It sounds like a RFI (radio frequency interference) problem.

Toneal- How do I get rid of it?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
SUV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Use a ground loop isolator? Don't know how it would apply in a car, but I used one for recording

in a studio from turntables, a main mixing board, mics etc etc even an FM receiver and it eliminated all ungrounded static.

The setup I used was an in-line gizmo from radio shack. $12 or something. Just pop it in between the two sources.

You said it's your driver's side front speaker --- sounds to me like maybe it's the speaker that's wired for a cell phone speaker/mic with the CompuStar system or something like that?

That would be a big "duh" if true.

PS. Use the subject line for easier reading. After perusing this website for 5 minutes, you should have noticed that that's what we all do.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Default I would first try removing/disabling the Compustar system...

If the problem goes away, then you know what was causing it. Another potential fix is to shield, at very least, the speaker wires. The shielding is fairly expensive and would be painful to install.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Default There is no speaker wired for a cell phone or anything like that.

I'll stop by radio shack to see if I can locate a ground loop isolator, and I'll try it on the speaker wire if you think that will work. I'll try anything at this point.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
SUV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah. might eliminate the static. You would have to cut it and splice it on. Mine has mini-RCAs on

either end. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The only way your alarm would be the cause is if it was installed incorrectly. I've had a

Compustar 2WSSR for 5+ years without a single problem. Bottom line is the dealer is stumped and blaming the alarm removes them from being liable to fix the problem.

It does sound like possibly a ground loop problem (although that would likely cause static in all speakers and you'd hear other things through the speakers like the CD mechanism operating, etc.) or a problem with the Bose amp; more likely IMO. I know the dealer SAID they replaced it but...

Is there any consistency to when it happens/when it goes away? Does it happen/change when you open and close the door? It could be an exposed wire in the door; knowing how the wires are run I doubt they traced it all the way from the radio to the speaker.

P.S. Please stop whining about Audi. You're not going to get help from this board and certainly no sympathy when your problems could just have easily happened with a BMW. BMWs also get stolen/broken into and also have their share of idiotic problems. If you install an alarm into a BMW and have an problem the dealer can't find, the BMW dealer is going to blame the alarm too. That's the risk of installing an alarm in a vehicle covered by warranty; any car. It sounds like you weren't an informed buyer before you got your Audi; I'd suggest you do some serious research about BMWs before you repeat your mistake.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Default does it make static when the radio is fried?

if not let it fry again or make it fry, get ipod+travel speakers = sweet solution =P