S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi connect with freedompop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi connect with freedompop?

I'd like to be able to get traffic info on my 2016 S6 (with 4G) and send addresses from my phone using Audi connect app, so I'm thinking freedompop's 200MB/mon deal could be a cheap alternative to the AT&T plan. Will this work or do I still need an Audi connect subscription? Can anyone confirm whether this would work on 2016 or newer S6?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a random carrier sim card and it automatically recognized it and connected to the internet.
I could activate sending adresses from google maps webpage and audi connect app and webpage.
Online traffic was expired so i called my audi dealer and renewed for free for one year

Best
Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

As mentioned, with any data plan SIM card, you can get internet. But if you want features like sending destinations to your navigation, I'd assume you need an AudiConnect subscription. Don't see how you could send it to your car any other way. You could always send it to your phone, and use Apple CarPlay (or the Android alternative) and use a phone's nav app, but you wouldn't be using the car's nav. I personally don't like those things, and even less without a touchscreen, but still can't justify an AudiConnect subscription just to send a destination every once in a while. At least nav can be operated by the passenger, so not a big deal for me. I tried sending custom routes, but can't do that. Only destinations, so not that attractive. Let us know if you try it and what you could and could not do. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
As mentioned, with any data plan SIM card, you can get internet. But if you want features like sending destinations to your navigation, I'd assume you need an AudiConnect subscription. Don't see how you could send it to your car any other way. You could always send it to your phone, and use Apple CarPlay (or the Android alternative) and use a phone's nav app, but you wouldn't be using the car's nav. I personally don't like those things, and even less without a touchscreen, but still can't justify an AudiConnect subscription just to send a destination every once in a while. At least nav can be operated by the passenger, so not a big deal for me. I tried sending custom routes, but can't do that. Only destinations, so not that attractive. Let us know if you try it and what you could and could not do. Good luck.
Yes, but the AudiConnect subscription is free and it consist only on having a user on https://login.audi.com , there you connect your account to your VIM number and you automatically have destinations pushed to audi trough google. The traffic online is an other topic, i think they will charge for the service but now they are giving it for free because they didnt implement the payment trought https://login.audi.com

All whay i write i tested on my audi and i'm currently using daily ( pusing adresses from google maps from my browser and they are in my audi "online destinations" tab on the NAVI.

Best
Old 04-30-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Where do you live? In the US, it's not free after the 6-month trial period. And it includes internet access. If you want internet access on your own, then you wouldn't have AudiConnect. At least in the US. I still have it now, but won't renew it. Don't know exactly the monthly charge, but it's pretty hefty for what I remember, especially for somebody who only travels like once a month at the most. Car basically sits in the garage the rest of the time. But yes, WiFi range is excellent, and also sending destinations at the last minute, to avoid d*cking with the controller, which takes forever.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Where do you live? In the US, it's not free after the 6-month trial period. And it includes internet access. If you want internet access on your own, then you wouldn't have AudiConnect. At least in the US. I still have it now, but won't renew it. Don't know exactly the monthly charge, but it's pretty hefty for what I remember, especially for somebody who only travels like once a month at the most. Car basically sits in the garage the rest of the time. But yes, WiFi range is excellent, and also sending destinations at the last minute, to avoid d*cking with the controller, which takes forever.
Elp_jc, sorry for giving it for granted, didn't suspect Audi would charge for that! I leave in Europe, and when i bought my Audi ( second hand ) i asked about the Audi Connect service price and he told me it's free, only the traffic online will cost something eventually. So i translated this information to the US and it seems it's not like that.
I agree with you that i would have a hard time paying for just being able to send some adresses from google maps and some information about gas prices on board. Altough before cancelling i would see the price. Maybe it's very cheap compared on what the car costed and you can see it like a few hundred more on your purchase price for having audi connect for some years.

Best