Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Q7 21" replacement tire

 
Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 AM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 21" replacement tire

Does anyone know of an upcoming all-season tire for the new Q7's 21" wheel size(285/40r21)? I know a forum member worked out a deal with his dealership to have them install Conti DWS06s in place of the OEM summer Pirellis, but I would rather stick with an OEM sized tire if possible.

On a side note, if there is no impending release of a descent all-season tire in that size, my next choice would be to get a winter tire. I personally do not care for Audi's winter wheel suggestion for the new Q7. If I were to go that route, I would probably purchase and aftermarket Vossen or HSE wheel and tires. Pirelli shows the Scorpion Winter in that size(285/40r21) on thier US website, but none of my local Pirelli dealers have been able to locate them.

Gary, is there any chance you would be able to get a set of the Winter Scorpions? I have emailed Pirelli with the question, and they have not gotten back to me.

Scorpion? Winter | Winter SUV Tires | Performance tires | Pirelli

Thanks!
Rheagar is offline  
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 AM
  #2  
Audiworld Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,234
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

We cannot get any all-season or winter tires in 285/40R21, sorry. Hopefully that will change before next winter.
Gary@Tirerack.com is offline  
Old 01-22-2016, 02:55 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 374
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am going to be ordering the Conti 295/40zr21 extreme contacts DWS 06 tire. I absolutely must have an all-season tire as I live in the mountains and we get snow/ice all the time AND I travel a lot to bigger cities.

I do not know how much of a difference going from a 285 to a 295 will make. Also I really want to know how they would "feel" compared to the Michelin LTX ms/2 tire I have on my highlander right now. It does not look as aggressive so it should be a lot quieter. I am just not qualified to know the differences in any of this.
jallen0 is offline  
Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 19,182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

275/45-21?

Tire size calculator

285/40-21 4.5" 15.0" 30.0" 94.2" 673/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A
275/45-21 4.9" 15.4" 30.7" 96.6" 656/mi 59MPH 9750mi 2.6%

Scorpion Verde for $272

Pirelli*Scorpion Verde All Season

Slightly taller = better ride and higher load rating.

Last edited by Audi Junkie; 01-23-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Audi Junkie is offline  
Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did these tires fit?

Did these tires fit on your Audi 21" rims? I hear that the bead width is too wide for those rims.

Originally Posted by jallen0 View Post
I am going to be ordering the Conti 295/40zr21 extreme contacts DWS 06 tire. I absolutely must have an all-season tire as I live in the mountains and we get snow/ice all the time AND I travel a lot to bigger cities.

I do not know how much of a difference going from a 285 to a 295 will make. Also I really want to know how they would "feel" compared to the Michelin LTX ms/2 tire I have on my highlander right now. It does not look as aggressive so it should be a lot quieter. I am just not qualified to know the differences in any of this.
turk182 is offline  
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM
  #6  
Audiworld Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The 295/40R21 is close enough in overall diameter to the OE tire size(s) to be OK. The difference in tread width is 0.2" at most. I don't know the width of the OE wheel, but 295/40R21 requires a 10" wide wheel at minimum.
Doc@tirerack is offline  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Right, but the wheels on the 2017 Q7 are 9.5" wide. That's why i wanted to verify that the tires fit.
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The 295/40R21 is close enough in overall diameter to the OE tire size(s) to be OK. The difference in tread width is 0.2" at most. I don't know the width of the OE wheel, but 295/40R21 requires a 10" wide wheel at minimum.
turk182 is offline  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 AM
  #8  
Audiworld Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info on the OE wheel....I'll update our records.
Doc@tirerack is offline  
Old 09-21-2016, 11:25 AM
  #9  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Audi Junkie View Post
275/45-21?

Tire size calculator

285/40-21 4.5" 15.0" 30.0" 94.2" 673/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A
275/45-21 4.9" 15.4" 30.7" 96.6" 656/mi 59MPH 9750mi 2.6%

Scorpion Verde for $272

Pirelli*Scorpion Verde All Season

Slightly taller = better ride and higher load rating.

275/45-21 4.9" 15.4" 30.7" 96.6" 656/mi 59MPH 9750mi 2.6%

is this confirmed working for the q7 as a replacement for the 285? can someone explain what the numbers above mean?
mango14 is offline  
Old 09-27-2016, 06:20 AM
  #10  
Audiworld Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

285/40R21 Pirelli Scorpion Winter now in stock !


Pirelli Scorpion Winter
Doc@tirerack is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stags00
Wheels & Tires Discussion
1
09-12-2018 06:36 AM
bradaudi
A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
18
10-22-2009 06:36 PM
beaudawg
Pacific Northwest Discussion
3
01-11-2007 08:31 PM
Wheels & Tires Discussion
0
11-18-2004 11:10 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 21" replacement tire


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: