A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 S8 Trunk Malfunction After Manually Closing Lid By Hand

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 S8 Trunk Malfunction After Manually Closing Lid By Hand

Hello all!

2009 S8 w/ low miles. Had an incident where the trunk was manually closed by hand. The trunk began malfunctioning immediately afterwards. The symptoms of the trunk issue are:
  • Trunk motor will no longer activate, appears to be disabled or broken after the incident.
  • Soft-close will no longer activate, appears to be disabled or broken after the incident.
  • The "close trunk" button on the lid no longer works, appears to be disabled or broken after the incident.
  • Trunk unlatches with key fob, driver door trunk button, and with the trunk lid handle. The latch and latch mechanism appears to be functioning normally.

Step by step details of the incident:
  • Cold winter morning, started car and used driver door trunk button to open the trunk
  • Trunk motor activated and lifted the trunk open
  • Placed soft luggage into trunk
  • Pressed the "close trunk" button on the lid. Trunk began to close. I got back into the car.
  • Luggage prevented trunk from closing fully, leaving the lid ajar
  • Lifted trunk with hand, adjusted soft luggage, tried to close trunk with button again, still wouldn't close due to luggage
  • Pressed "close trunk" button on lid and manually assisted trunk down with my hand to compress the soft luggage and close the lid, latching it
  • Forgot a bag. Pressed key fob to open trunk again.
  • Trunk unlatched but motor did not activate.
  • Manually opened trunk lid, added bag, pressed "close trunk" button on lid. Button appeared to be disabled or broken (it had worked just a minute beforehand).
  • Had to manually lower and close the trunk lid with my hand and it's been like this ever since.

I searched the forums quite a bit for this issue, but it isn't the common trunk problems "weak motor" issue many of the threads are about.

fuel door and trunk motor stopped working <--- this thread has similar problems, but my fuel door works normally.

I was unable to locate the trunk motor fuse. If anyone can point me to where that is located, I'd like to check it first to rule it out.

Any ideas on what I may have broken? Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sometimes the system can get out of sync with itself. Try opening the lid, the take a screwdriver and use the shank to trip the latch to the closed position...in other words, place the shank at a right angle to the latch and push the screwdriver into the latch in the same way the loop in the sill does when the lid closes.

Then push the part of the exterior of the lid that you would normally be pulling on to open the trunk when it is closed if you didnt have the key fob to push.

That should make the latch release. Then, if you push the button for the motor to close the lid, everything should be back to working correctly.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply, @awdinut.

Tried repeating the steps you outlined, but unfortunately it did not "wake up" the lift/close motor nor the soft close latch.
  • used screwdriver to set latch on trunk lid to closed position
  • pressed the trunk lid button on the underside as if I were opening the trunk from a closed position. This triggered the latch to open.
  • Pressed the trunk close button, but it was unresponsive.
Tried a couple of times. Triple checked the orientation of the trunk lock was not in valet mode.

Anything else you can think of to try? Thank you, again.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

So, it will not open with the motor either ?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Neither the trunk lift/close motor nor the latch softclose motor activate. They went silent as if turned off or disabled.

​​
Old 04-05-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update:

No response from 6D Trunk Elect controller module.
2 faults from trunk.

Am I correct in assuming my trunk control module is toast and needs to be replaced? Or is there a way to try and reset it? Any reason why that would happen from moving the lid by hand?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

A blown fuse will give the same error. Find and check the fuses! Not got the user manual handy but I think the fuses are in the trunk.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you, that was it.

For other owner's future reference, the fuse is located in the trunk, on the right hand side, near the battery and the negative post. The fuse that controls the trunk is apparently the 20 amp with the arrows in the picture above.

Also, I had to manually push the trunk fully closed with my hand the first time in order to "reset" the softclose latch. After that everything was in sync and works.

Thank you to everyone who assisted. Much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks Audinut!....it worked for me
Old 12-24-2022, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello I have the same problem with my 2004 a8. To bad the pictures are not available anymore. will try to look for the fuse tho. I got this with vcds scan.​​​​​​​02107 - Trunk or Luggage Compartment Opening Motor (V254) 004 - No Signal/Communication Freeze Frame: Fault Status: 01100100 Fault Priority: 5 Fault Frequency: 254 Reset counter: 88 Mileage: 345764 km Time Indication: 0 Date: 2003.10.25 Time: 04:49:59 ​​​​​​​