A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8l 4.0T Crapped out on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Update

Ok I picked it up Saturday afternoon, runs great just like before it crapped out, I don't notice much difference if any it does seem like the 3000 rpm vibration has improved but I think I still feel it a little bit. I'm sure the computers have to relearn for a few hundred miles maybe the power will pick up more with a little driving.

Detailed invoice attached with tech's comments, broken left turbo exhaust impeller and both impellers were loose! Very strange, anyone ever hear of anything like this before? I don't beat on it but do enjoy driving spirited.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20160810113952.pdf (522.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If be looking for a buyback allowance or something through audi North America. Really saddened to hear about your luck. I drive my 4.2 L 2011 A8L spirited everyday I get a chance. It's a dream compared to my former Bmw 7 series
Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom C
Ok I picked it up Saturday afternoon, runs great just like before it crapped out, I don't notice much difference if any it does seem like the 3000 rpm vibration has improved but I think I still feel it a little bit. I'm sure the computers have to relearn for a few hundred miles maybe the power will pick up more with a little driving.

Detailed invoice attached with tech's comments, broken left turbo exhaust impeller and both impellers were loose! Very strange, anyone ever hear of anything like this before? I don't beat on it but do enjoy driving spirited.
Congrats on sticking with it and having straightened out. Variously:

1. Since it is a 2015, I can see how they concluded the exhaust header change would not apply. Doesn't apply on my 2015 S8 either, even w/ early build date.

2. Pardon my French, but complete BULL%^% as far as I am concerned on the broken and missing fuel line clips when you read deep in. HUH? Note to ALL 4.0T owners. There's a wake up call! OP got his fixed, so he is good. Assuming never tampered with/touched before, how do they explain that? I see they called corporate, so oops now there is a record Audi USA knows about it. Design issue? Manufacturing/line problem? One off? Systemic?

3. So, no explanation on where the "broken" turbo impeller is. Nowhere in comments that I saw. Boy it took a long time to end around to the turbo's diagnostically BTW, and kind of seems like they found it almost by accident. Good for tech that he/she was diligent though. Meanwhile broken piece didn't just evaporate or burn off. I assume it isn't just a little sand grain sized thing. Did they find it? Did they disassemble exhaust to shake it out? Do headpipes come off anyway to do turbo replace? And if so, did he just find/shake it out but didn't bother putting in comments? Anyway, you don't want pieces of anything metallic floating around in exhaust. Wont physically hurt stuff, but if it ends up in wrong place, the rattling you could get would be annoying. Had that when internals of my Audi 5000 cat came loose internally even though still functioned--as they did on many. Rattling made it sound like a crap old car. Post warranties of any sort so I did the std. cheap remedy of driving a stainless screw into it. Doesn't work though for random pieces floating inside pipes, let alone an under warranty nice ride.

4. Tech said turbo was "loose." Does that mean bearings were compromised? That would be kind of likely, and then the impeller break is the "effect" when it collides with housing, not the "cause." Hate to bring it up, but then where is the diagnostic on how that looseness happened, likely before the break when you "broke down" at side of road? One off bad turbos? Oil flow issue? Oil analysis? Oil change even? Notice they replaced an oil screen and the oil separator in consultation with technical advisory center (presumably the "TAC" reference), but what about the oil itself? And I don't see any pressure testing or checking. Again, to me those other parts changes are more reactive (as would have been an oil change) to clean up the mess, but what about proactive to sure it doesn't happen in future? At least as a 2015 with 13K you have a bunch of warranty. In NJ (per invoice), you are also in a "CARB state" that tracks to CA emissions rules. You might want to pull out your warranty book and parse it through for what happened here under the extended emissions warranty. That could give some peace of mind for next several years after 4/50 runs. Might well cover turbos, but would need to look at myself.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-10-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I liked the loaner needs to be larger than an A4 I am 6'4".
Old 08-10-2016, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's not listed in the parts section but it does state in the tech comments that he performed an oil change and primed the oil system. There is no way they wouldn't do that after replacing all of those oil system breather parts and turbos.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lol on the height it's true it's the least they can do I own an a8 lol
Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom C
It's not listed in the parts section but it does state in the tech comments that he performed an oil change and primed the oil system. There is no way they wouldn't do that after replacing all of those oil system breather parts and turbos.
You're right I see skimming the comments again. But...I don't see an oil filter or any oil listed in the parts. ?? I would ask dealer to clarify at a minimum, but still don't see testing of oil system/pressure, lines, etc. if it was a bearing failure that cascaded to a crashing impeller. Add to it the water lines and the afterrun circuit. They topped up coolant, but no more detail really on that side either. Most of the testing that I see in the notes was on the way to ending up at the turbo's, rather than follow on post- inspection to clarify possible cause. Tech center also didn't really point the technician at the turbo's either, so wouldn't seem like a normal thing for them.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-10-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2014 Audi A8 with the 4.0 t. Just had the worst news both turbos need to be replaced. Currently at 89000 k . It’s gonna. COST around 10k. My question is after the dealer replaced it did you have any problems. I’m getting it done, just want to see how long the turbos are good for.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by A8TT
I own a 2014 Audi A8 with the 4.0 t. Just had the worst news both turbos need to be replaced. Currently at 89000 k . It’s gonna. COST around 10k. My question is after the dealer replaced it did you have any problems. I’m getting it done, just want to see how long the turbos are good for.
Have them replace your fine oil seperator, check valve, and the screen between them