Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Buying a 2014 S5 without Nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2014 S5 without Nav

hi I was wondering I'm buying a 2014 S5 with standard features but without Nav. I've been doing a lot of research and basically my car has no Nav and the controls aren't below my gear stick. Is it possible to add Nav in my car after I buy it? will it be a big job to do? also how do I know if it supports Bluetooth streaming? because the sales rep said it can only connect as telephone via Bluetooth but no audio streaming but I mean the car is 2014. It's loaded with the B&O using Audi Symphony.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The Nav is part of a bigger package called Technology package. It includes an upgraded infotainment system that adds features such as backup camera, bluetooth streaming, bigger display with higher resolution, controls below the shifter etc. Nav is just one part of the infotainment system. Without the Technology package you won't be able to stream audio over Bluetooth. The standard system doesn't support this. With enough money you could certainly retrofit the Technology package after the fact. I think there are folks who have done it, but you have to change the wiring harness as the upgraded infotainment system uses an optical bus instead of copper wiring and you will have to recode a bunch of things. If you want the features that the upgrade infotainment system provides, you are better off looking for a car that is already equipped with it.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

wow thanks for the reply man. I totally understand it now. I was wondering is there anything I can add to have Bluetooth streaming for music and using the screen in the car too? like so it can still see song titles and other infos?

thanks!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
The Nav is part of a bigger package called Technology package. It includes an upgraded infotainment system that adds features such as backup camera, bluetooth streaming, bigger display with higher resolution, controls below the shifter etc. Nav is just one part of the infotainment system. Without the Technology package you won't be able to stream audio over Bluetooth. The standard system doesn't support this. With enough money you could certainly retrofit the Technology package after the fact. I think there are folks who have done it, but you have to change the wiring harness as the upgraded infotainment system uses an optical bus instead of copper wiring and you will have to recode a bunch of things. If you want the features that the upgrade infotainment system provides, you are better off looking for a car that is already equipped with it.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

personally I would find a car with navigation instead of the headache of adding one after and potentially having issues.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

The 3G+ MMI nav is overpriced and pretty awful, but it's better than their previous generations and definitely better than nothing. And as superswiss said, it's part of a package that includes some other important stuff.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tech package is more than just the Nav. The digital sound and SD cards are important too.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Top of the line Garmin costs about $500 and you can move it from vehicle to vehicle. Works great.

One advantage is once you learn the Garmin you don't have to learn a new system and enter the same locations for each car. If the wires to the outlet bother you, just hook it up when you need it...like trips. Takes about 30 secs to hook up.

Like Audi it shows the speed limit on major roads and also tells you how fast you are going via gps. If over the limit your speed is shown in red. Otherwise it's black.

A friend has eight cars. Never orders nav. Uses the Garmin even in cars that have nav. He's the one who put me onto this.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 09-12-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by changareth
hi I was wondering I'm buying a 2014 S5 with standard features but without Nav. I've been doing a lot of research and basically my car has no Nav and the controls aren't below my gear stick. Is it possible to add Nav in my car after I buy it? will it be a big job to do? also how do I know if it supports Bluetooth streaming? because the sales rep said it can only connect as telephone via Bluetooth but no audio streaming but I mean the car is 2014. It's loaded with the B&O using Audi Symphony.
Don't you have a cell phone? GPS apps have been available for years, and you can even get them with heads-up-display.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a direct answer to the OP, but...

I think Audi nav/mmi is a joke. Slow, error prone, iPhone must faster and reliable. My last Audi did not have nav. Didn't miss it. But I did miss, tremendously, the other features Audi gouges, er, packages nav with. The SQ5 I picked up yesterday has nav and even though I do 99% driving in my hometown and don't need nav I sure liked the control placement and backup camera, etc. Even in a small Q3 no backup camera was just odd. Kept making excuses of "I drove for 30 years without a backup camera, I don't need one in a small Q3." When it came time to sell the Q3 not having backup camera was a major issue.

As others have stated maybe a nice Garmin. Some aren't a fan of the looks, but if you have multiple cars it's worth it. And it's probably faster and more accurate than the OE nav. For me having the controls below the shifter is a gigantic reason I stayed with Audi. My ocd hands loooove the perfect placement. Last Audi did not have controls down below. Major inconvenience for me. Not an issue from the OP comment, but I sure do like streaming music and having the option of nav for my rare out of state trip.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I have an older Garmin Nuvi 1450 and use ITaly/Greece chip.

Originally Posted by kreativecid
Not really a direct answer to the OP, but...

I think Audi nav/mmi is a joke. Slow, error prone, iPhone must faster and reliable. My last Audi did not have nav. Didn't miss it. But I did miss, tremendously, the other features Audi gouges, er, packages nav with. The SQ5 I picked up yesterday has nav and even though I do 99% driving in my hometown and don't need nav I sure liked the control placement and backup camera, etc. Even in a small Q3 no backup camera was just odd. Kept making excuses of "I drove for 30 years without a backup camera, I don't need one in a small Q3." When it came time to sell the Q3 not having backup camera was a major issue.

As others have stated maybe a nice Garmin. Some aren't a fan of the looks, but if you have multiple cars it's worth it. And it's probably faster and more accurate than the OE nav. For me having the controls below the shifter is a gigantic reason I stayed with Audi. My ocd hands loooove the perfect placement. Last Audi did not have controls down below. Major inconvenience for me. Not an issue from the OP comment, but I sure do like streaming music and having the option of nav for my rare out of state trip.
Not that I ship my audis to Italy or Greece but when I go I take the Garmin. I like the Audi nav on the A5 in the US (2015) and the google/internet search capability that isn't on the Garmin. The iPhone works well too…and the iPhone map/nav speaks to me through the A5 bluetooth connection.

The best solution IMHO would be a patch from the iPhone to the display on the Audi…don't need no steenkin' GPS antenna on the top of the car with an iPhone i the car!!! Audi could save a LOT of money by not putting in the nav but I guess the shark fin also works for satellite/Sirius/XM radio.