Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Apple CarPlay

Old 06-03-2019, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay

I went to have the update to add CarPlay to my R8. It's a mess. They have to sort it out. It quits.I can't use Siri to make a call. If anyone has had success, it would be interesting to know.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is your phone up to date? Try a different cable or USB port? Do you have another phone you can try and see if it still has issues?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've been sooooo waiting for this to be added. It's so bizarre than most R8's had CarPlay, and then suddenly it was removed. I was told it was because the review camera didn't display quickly enough to meet government requirement. That seemed like an easy software fix. Now here we are 6 months later. I know for a fact CarPlay works find in earlier build R8s, so why not the later builds? I was really looking forward to adding this to my R8, but now you have me concerned. FYI...when I contacted Audi North America about my dissatisfaction of CarPlay not included with my R8 (a standard feature advertised) they send multiple emails to follow up...and $500 worth of Audi swag. I was pretty impressed.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wuplur View Post
Is your phone up to date? Try a different cable or USB port? Do you have another phone you can try and see if it still has issues?
All updates were done and it was Audi's cable. They are going to perform the update again to see if it helps. That's in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
I've been sooooo waiting for this to be added. It's so bizarre than most R8's had CarPlay, and then suddenly it was removed. I was told it was because the review camera didn't display quickly enough to meet government requirement. That seemed like an easy software fix. Now here we are 6 months later. I know for a fact CarPlay works find in earlier build R8s, so why not the later builds? I was really looking forward to adding this to my R8, but now you have me concerned. FYI...when I contacted Audi North America about my dissatisfaction of CarPlay not included with my R8 (a standard feature advertised) they send multiple emails to follow up...and $500 worth of Audi swag. I was pretty impressed.
I am going to get it loaded a second time to see if it helps. It was the service advisor's suggestion. I'll see what happens.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

For what it's worth, I just received this email from Audi today.

"We have confirmed issue regarding Apple Carplay for 2019 TT & R8. The screen would intermittently black out and the issue appears to rely from Audi MMI software not Apple SW, but this is not official and is still pending analysis from Audi AG.

If there is a customer complaint regarding this, please have customer press the parking aid button twice when stopped and the condition should go away for the entire drive cycle.
I am sending this message to advise Dealers this is an issue and a TSB will be created to prevent any wasted time with diagnoses and/or replacement of hardware."
Old 06-26-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"We have confirmed issue regarding Apple Carplay for 2019 TT & R8. The screen would intermittently black out and the issue appears to rely from Audi MMI software not Apple SW, but this is not official and is still pending analysis from Audi AG.

If there is a customer complaint regarding this, please have customer press the parking aid button twice when stopped and the condition should go away for the entire drive cycle.
I am sending this message to advise Dealers this is an issue and a TSB will be created to prevent any wasted time with diagnoses and/or replacement of hardware."
Interesting news. I noticed that it starts working again if I back up and go forward. I may cancel my service appointment.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for this info. I cancelled with my dealer and pushed the parking assist button like they said and it goes back on. For some reason I thought I was losing sound the last time I used it but I'm not. It's just the visual.