Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Rest In Peace

Default ESPN.com AFC North Monday chat transcript with Matt Williamson

As soon as the chat is over, it flips to Insider-only, so I figured this would be a worthwhile copy/paste.

Matt Williamson: (1:34 PM ET ) Okay everyone, quite a weekend in the AFC North. Where do the top three teams stand now? I still think the Ravens are third, but this is going to be a three-way battle down to the wire. I still give the edge to the Bengals. Let's get started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin, CT: Have the Steelers begun to correct some of their problems? How will they fare in Atlanta this weekend?

Matt Williamson: (1:35 PM ET ) I really like their chances in ATL this weekend, especially if those three DLinemen for ATL are out. Yes, they did begin to fix some of their issues, but I also think KC is one of the more overrated teams going. They are bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam (Cincinnati): Matt, This is coming from a big fan of C. Palmer, has the NFL gone too far on roughing the QB? Justin Smith had a very clean, wrap around the body sack on TB in the 4th quarter that caused a fumble and the zebra threw the flag. He did not slam him to the ground or bring him down in any violent manner. According the Marvin Lewis, "I guess we have to cuddle them to the ground now." I won't say that cost Cincy the game, their overall play did, but that was a very big mistake by the refs...

Matt Williamson: (1:35 PM ET ) I could not agree more. Awful call.

Tristan (Columbus, OH): With McNair injured and Cincy playing very soft football do the Steelers still have a very good chance of making a run at the division and what do you see happening?

Matt Williamson: (1:36 PM ET ) Predicting this division isn't easy now, but I do think PGH will make a serious run at the division. I see Pittsburgh winning this week in ATL and Cincy having a very tough day at home against Carolina.

Paul (MD): How can the Ravens pull off an upset in New Orleans?

Matt Williamson: (1:38 PM ET ) For sure. Baltimore is capable of beating any team in the league, but New Orl is a tough place to play now-a-days and Payton is doing an oustanding job with the Saints. All the passing yards that Balt let up are concerning though-especially against NO.

Tony (Pennsylvania): Do you think Troy Polamalu will finally cut his hair now that Larry Johnson almost yanked it out of his head Sunday?

Matt Williamson: (1:38 PM ET ) Nope

Paul (MD): Should Baltimore start Boller now?

Matt Williamson: (1:39 PM ET ) Not yet. McNair still gives them the best chance to win, but I think if McNair stumbles after the bye, Boller could get the call.

Allan (Bethlehem, Pa): Why aren't the Bengals playing a more aggressive brand of football on offense? It seems as if they are way too conservative in their play-calling.

Matt Williamson: (1:40 PM ET ) They are a bit conservative, but their OL issues are bigger than I expected and they can't protect long enough to throw deep. The Levi Jones injury is really lingering and I expected him to be fine this week-not so.

Alex (Chicago, IL): What's the story with Chris Henry? How much is he going to play this year?

Matt Williamson: (1:41 PM ET ) Just a guess on my part, but I would guess that he will play the rest of the season after this suspension-unless he goes and commits another crime, which is always possible.

Paul (MD): Should baltimore stick with Jamal Lewis or go with Musa Smith or Mike Anderson?

Matt Williamson: (1:42 PM ET ) This is getting ugly. Lewis is complaining about not getting the ball enough, but he just doesn't look like he used to. Anderson seems to be the best fit and has provided some sparks and Smith has done well. I suppose just go with the hot hand, but having three guys works against that, as no one will ever really get a good pace going.

Patrick ( Boston): How will the Bengals stop Steve SMith? Can any defense stop him now that they have Keyshawn?

Matt Williamson: (1:44 PM ET ) Carolina's third WR, Drew Carter, is also becoming a force. This is a tough passing attack with a healthy Smith. They will not stop him, but should slow him down more than Baltimore did yesterday. I would expect Cinn to try and keep everything in front of them and not play a lot of man coverage against Carolina. Delhomme is a good quarterback, but he can loose patience and force throws. Cinn needs to generate some INTs.

Eric (Iron City, PA): Who starts opposite Hines now - Nate, Cedrick, or Santonio?

Matt Williamson: (1:45 PM ET ) Holmes will get more and more playing time. Right now, there doesn't appear to be a true second starter though.

Joey, PA: After watching yesterdays romp of KC the most satisfying part to me was seeing Cower upset after Reed missed the field goal. That intensity wasn't there for the whole team before this week. What was the biggest factor for the slow start intensity or injuries?

Matt Williamson: (1:46 PM ET ) I think the biggest factors for the slow start was injuries, turnovers and their schedule. They lost to three good football teams.

Treye (Cleveland): How do you feel about the Browns' offense? I think their D has played well, especially considering the injuries in the secondary. But I don't feel as if their offense is coming along as fast.

Matt Williamson: (1:47 PM ET ) It will be a slow process with their O. So many young (but talented) players at key positions and they could really use one more top lineman. Bentley could qualify as that guy next year.

Greg(Titletown): What are the chances Pitt makes the Playoffs? 40%?

Matt Williamson: (1:47 PM ET ) That is a fair number

Ben (Denver): Do the browns have a shot this week against Denver?

Matt Williamson: (1:47 PM ET ) No, they really don't

Tony (Cleveland): True or False: The Bengals defensive problems begin and end with a lack of production on the D-line.

Matt Williamson: (1:48 PM ET ) True for the big picture, but False in that their LBs have been so beat up that they aren't getting enough production as a whole from that group either. But as far as offseason targets, DL is huge for them.

mark (clarksville,va): We know about the ravens defense do they have enough offensive firepower to go far this year

Matt Williamson: (1:49 PM ET ) No, their OL is a mess, which makes their running game a mess. Also, I have been saying this all along, their depth issues will soon become a bigger and bigger problem.

Lebron (Cleveland): Whats up with the Browns running attack. Is the line that bad or is Droughns just stuck in a 1 yd/carry Eddie George syndrome. At least he finally had a 100 yd game but that was the raiders mind you

Matt Williamson: (1:50 PM ET ) King,
Yes, that 100 yard game was against the Raiders, so maybe it shouldn't count. The OL is average and Droughns hasn't run with the same nastiness as he did last year.

Paul (MD): What do the Ravens need to draft most?

Matt Williamson: (1:51 PM ET ) OL and more OL

phil (cincy oh): does the nfl ever admit error on judgement calls from the referees. the roughing the passer call on smith was the worst i've ever seen. it contributed significantly to the bengals' loss

Matt Williamson: (1:51 PM ET ) Once again, I could not agree more. Terrible call. They are probably 4-1 without that call.

Tom (Baltimore): I see at least 4 more games on the Ravens schedule that they should easily win. How many W's will it take win the AFC North this year?

Matt Williamson: (1:52 PM ET ) 11 would do it

Greg(Boston): If you were an AFC West team looking to be the most likely to make a super bowl, which team would you be?

Matt Williamson: (1:52 PM ET ) Wow, very tough call. SD and Denver are the two top teams in the AFC right now. I will take SD, but close.

Brian (Baltimore): With S. Rolle getting burned to a crisp yesterday by Smith - do you think he has turned into just a mediocre corner? If so - the Ravens really have no other viable options in the secondary this could hurt them big time.

Matt Williamson: (1:53 PM ET ) Rolle will start all year and yes, he was toasted yesterday. CB is an area where their depth is particularly worrisome. His stock has dropped some of late, but I still consider him above average.

Mike(charleston): what depth issues are you talking about for the ravens?

Matt Williamson: (1:55 PM ET ) I would worry that most of Baltimore's top players are older and have some significant injury history. They are strong amongst their starters, but behind many of those guys, the depth is a real concern. TE, OL, CB, S, DT and LB depth is scarey is one of the better guy goes down.

Joe (Pittsburgh): Who do you think is the better Quarterback? Roethlisberger, Rivers, or Manning

Matt Williamson: (1:56 PM ET ) 1. Roethlisberger 2. Rivers 3. Manning....all could end up being very good though. Rivers is extremely impressive.

John (nyc): Josh Cribbs for the Pro Bowl. Discuss...

Matt Williamson: (1:57 PM ET ) Perhaps. The Pro Bowl takes one guy as a pure special teamer and Cribbs has been great so far as both a returner and coverage guy.

Paul (MD): Lets say the Ravens had Peyton Manning, would they be undefeated?

Matt Williamson: (1:58 PM ET ) Yeah, probably. Obviously the entire playbook would have to be rewritten, but yeah, I can give you that. The running game would still be a problem though. There aren't a lot of Peyton Mannings out there though.

Nate (Los Angeles): That Manning ranked number 3 up there is Eli, right?

Matt Williamson: (1:58 PM ET ) I assume that is what he was asking as Ben, Phil and Eli were all in the same draft. Yes, I was talking about Eli-although I like him as well.

Natalie (Baltimore): Our OL sucks!!

Matt Williamson: (1:59 PM ET ) It is pretty bad indeed-a bunch of huge heavy footed guys

Andrew (Cincinnati): Very disappointed in Cincinnati's performance yesterday, but I thought that Ahmad Brooks showed some signs that he could be a quality MLB for us. Your thoughts?

Matt Williamson: (2:01 PM ET ) For sure. He is a big time talent who just needs some time to get used to the NFL. He will be a great one if he stays out of trouble off the field. I am actually surprised that he hasn't taken some snaps at SLB as well. Okay everyone, I am out. It was fun.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 AM

Default I'm glad to say I picked up Josh Brown as a bye week replacement for Ryan Longwell.....

who no longer has more TD passes than Big Ben I'm sad to note. )
Old 10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Summary: "What are the chances Pitt makes the Playoffs? 40%?" "That is a fair number."
Old 10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Rest In Peace

Default If anything, that shows how well respected we are, despite having only 2 wins.

We're one of those teams that nobody wants to see in the playoffs.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree

Nobody wants to see the Steelers in the playoffs. And its not cuz we're afraid of them doing anything in the playoffs... its cuz we'll be completely sick of hearing about them from you by that point.

I keed, I keed.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Rest In Peace

LOL - we all know that's true.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :)

Steelers suck.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Here's another one for you.

No h8r replies yet? I'm disappointed.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9733632">"Uh-oh: Steelers had that look again against Chiefs"</a></li></ul>
Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well for fvck sake! you won the Superbowl just a few months ago... I would hope you'd get a little

respect despite a sub par start. Which is exactly, what it looks like youre getting..... just a little respect! =P