S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Continueing steering/alligmnet problems. Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continueing steering/alligmnet problems. Feedback?

I posted here reagding my allignment problems a week or so ago. To make a long story short, car has been at dealer(s) a total of 4 times for this. The car still pulls to the right, and it's not the road, and the steering feels edgy and stays very light at high speed, which in kind of scary. Gone is the feeling of tightness and security. When changing lanes i feel like I don't have control and am getting so tired of this... Any ideas what this may be besides an allignment issue??? If this goes on with no solution, should i get AOA involved?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Elder Member

Default What have they checked so far?

I guess they have done an alignment. Something might be loose...

tie rods? links? other suspension component?

don't have any wheel spacers on or aftermarket wheels I presume?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: What have they checked so far?

Car is stock and going back in tomorrow. The alligned it and claimed that they checked suspension parts and found nothing so far...
Old 05-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IMHO, you now need to do 2 things. FIRST

CALL AOA and report your problem and dissatifaction with the dealer's inability to rectify the problem. Secondly, you NEED to take it to a different dealer to get a different view of the problem. At this point the dealer probably thinks you are a PIA, (you're not!)and obviously they don't have a solution for your problem.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Default You could ask to see the alignment readout first. Then..

try rotating front wheel positions next if the alignment really is ok. Tire Rack has the correct procedure on their site. If I recall correctly it's swap the two fronts. If the pull is now the other way it's a tire/balance problem for sure. If you then rotate the suspected bad wheel to the back and it largely goes away- you islolated the bad tire/balance situation. Sounds like you could have other issues but maybe this helps. Doubt the dealer did all this or you would have known. Be very picky about matching tire pressures especially if a front goes to the back. Match fronts, match rears then road test. Good luck. I had similar issues with new Michelins but an older tire could still cause a push or pull if it's failing.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:06 PM

I took it to 2 different dealers so far! Thanks for input
Old 05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Usual stuff + match tire pressures. We prob also have a caster issue....

.....which is designed into the cars. "Right lane" countries get a setting that steers away from a head on collision, so ours is to the right shoulder in case someone falls asleep, is incapacitated, etc.

Can't remember for sure if we can change this, IIRC it wasn't an option for my B5 w/o adjustable links. Maybe JetJockey can confirm this. The readout CTO4S4 refers to SHOULD have a caster reading (how much the steering axis is leaning back, basically). On my lighter cars, I've had the alignment done with me (or equivalent weight) in the driver's seat to account for geometry shift, which may be a factor in our cars, but shouldn't be much, if noticeable at all. We have kinda stiff springs to support our portly chassis.

The other possibility to look at is going to be Camber, which really only should change if you are heavy enough to make the chassis lean when you are in the car. If that's the case, again have the aligment done with your weight in the seat, and maybe call Jenny. 8^P

04 S4Avant Tip
Stockin' for now
Old 05-06-2005, 05:56 AM
Elder Member

I agree. I had my alignment done with me in the car.